underwater archaeology?

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
Do any of you have an degree in underwater Archaeology? I'm very intrested in getting it. I first just wanted to find treasure, but know I can't stop doing research on sunken ship. I read everything I can get my hands on. I live in Tampa fl, and I can't find any classes around
here. It seem like there is not to many schools offer it in fl. If I had degree does that help to get a salvage permit? and can you make a descent living? don't care about making it rich. thanks for your input.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underwater archaeology is a specialization within the larger fields of anthropology and archaeology. There are only a few universities in the US that teach this speciality. I would recommend working on all your prerequisites at your local university. Texas A&M university in College Station, Texas has probably one of the best UW Archeology programs in the country. Also, the university in Jacksonville Florida has a very good program from what I have been told.

As for the pay, you wont get rich. Most US government archaeologist are making 46K-60K a year(a GS-09), and in a recent job search I found about 20-30 current openings, mostly in Nevada, and a couple in Hawaii. Good gig if you can get it.

If you do a search of TreasureNet, I know that I posted some good info on the average pay a year or so ago.

This is the job description

Accomplishes management functions associated with the operation and execution of specific archaeological expeditions and assignments. Conducts and/or oversees archaeological examinations of road, reservoir, recreation, and other ground disturbing projects where archaeological materials may be subject to destruction or damage. Identifies, evaluates, and classifies resource needs. Plans and executes surveys for the location and verification of archaeological and historical sites. Provides guidance in marking, protection, and salvage of these sites.

Performs work related to planning and development of archaeological/heritage resources program policy, objectives, and priorities.

Performs work evaluating and ensuring that scientific and systematic procedures are followed in identifying, evaluating, and classifying cultural resource areas.

Provides technical assistance, consultation, and guidance on archaeological studies, programs, and projects. Provides advice on the identification and management of cultural resources.

Tom

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
Jacksonville thats not that bad of a move, I will have to look in to that one. Thanks tom for the info.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
East Carolina University also has a good program.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hix... University of West Florida offers a nautical archaeology degree program if you wish to stay in Florida. Texas A&M University has definately got a top ranked nautical archaeology degree program and has received a great deal of respect and recognition from the professional community. East Carolina University I believe only offers a graduate degree program, but if you have the time and money and wish to pursue a higher level, they are also top notch! Be sure to talk to professional archaeologists and university faculty when considering ths field... it can be a wonderful career path, but definately has its ups and downs as does anything. And trust me, if you ask an archaeologist, they will tell you that there is a big difference between treasure hunters and archies and then they will most likely proceed to mutter some explicite and choice words about us th'ers under their breath. Unfortunately it is the current nature of the beast... :tongue3:

Good luck to you... Phips :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
thanks Phips. University of West Florida I think there web page is down every time I try and go there I get Error.

LVX

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
I graduated from Texas A&M university with a degree in Nautical Archaeology in 1998. They have a great program. If you need any information, please let me know.

D

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LVX are you working as an archaeologist now?

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary
LVX said:
I graduated from Texas A&M university with a degree in Nautical Archaeology in 1998. They have a great program. If you need any information, please let me know.

D

Hi, please let me know about tuition fee in Texas....

Wreckdiver: Can you send me too any info about fees of that schooL?

tx in advance !

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
Underwater archaeology is best done with those who can breathe underwater without a tank.
Robotics also can be a help. Divers almost always gat the raw end of the deal. I can testify to that having worked on more than two...Atocha....Whiddah....
As far as Treasure/recycle div of Hoang Ho Consulting goes, we can safely say that we have more than one for sale as a location only.

What are the categories of the Anthro/archaeo connection?
Is it determined by timeframe....depth...or classified as industrial recycling of factory type tranportation errors?

We feel a lost gold ship from Alaska qualifies for the latter and should be worked by a company like Waste Management.

Other wrecks qualifiy as war refuse.

CEO found a place in CNY that was elaboratly dug from rock underwater as a secret cache, undetectable except by water. Unfortunatly there was a problem with the native divers they used to stock it...they died in the cave from lack of oxygen....this would be Edu class.

There are legal and other concerns with any recycle project. Most of these can be met no matter what order the recyclables take in terms of their use. Hoang Ho Consulting wants jewels for use in Industrial grinding equipment.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hoanghoart :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions