DATABASE

S

seal

I am compyling a database of shipwrecks from around the world with info on their history and the information that is associated with in. The only thing is that I am having a few problems with finding a decent Database program that would be good enough for this kind of project.

I am hoping that there is someone out there who could pass on a link or something that could help me out of this sticky situation

Sea Hunter

Greenie
Sep 14, 2005
Seal

Are you saying that your problem is finding a software program that you can use to enter your own information or a program that already contains the info on wrecks/treasure?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I have to agree with Rich. You can download a NOAA database and use it as a starting point. You can customize your fields, tables, etc. and even link to pictures. It should do everything you want and is very easy to customize.

I have my wreck database setup this way and worked good so far. It is even easy to import fields from existing databases as well.

Good luck and let us know if we can help!

Robert in SC

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
Not as fancy as Google Earth (and the links above blew up in the middle of loading the Google screen), but a few months ago someone posted the links to some great info on 1715 wrecks - a series of reports from Mel Fisher's group to State of Florida, with drawings, coordinates, and dimensions of all the different wrecks they control. Looked like an annual report for 2002 or 2003. Look back in the archives.

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dk-diver said:
Well an alternative to a standard database could be kmz files for google earth. Heres an example made by a nother dane with to much time on his hand ;)

http://bo.meyer.homepage.dk/uvguide-vrag-bpos.kmz
and
http://bo.meyer.homepage.dk/uvguide-vrag-sikkerpos.kmz

Check it out, its really cool. I wish that someone would make something similar for the 1715 sites.

/DKD

Thanks for the info and kmz files.. This is a neat concept. I've been playing with Google Earth for a while -- and I think it's the neatest thing.. For some reason, my brain never put 2 and 2 together...

I'm sure if you have a database full of coordinates, it'd be very easy to export that into a KMZ file for Google Earth. It's fun seeing precisely where the wrecks are in relationship to each other.

TS

peter6113

Aug 29, 2005
An advice. The information has to be collected from original reports available in the archives. Otherwise another shipwreck database will not be sensational. Intermares in the Netherlands compiled a shipwreck database containing 24 000 shipwrecks. The result of twenty five years of fulltime study in a large number of European records. It is expected that at an early date full results be auctioned.
Perhaps it is wise to find a different hobby.
peter6113

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
peter,
Great to have you.? I see this is your first post and would like to welcome you to Treasurenet. Please give us some more information on the database you speak of.? Although others may have already done similar works, I think seal has his own ideas about what he would like to do with the database.

Keep up the good work seal and let us know if we can help.

Robert in SC

OP
OP
S

seal

Just to let everybody know that reason I have been compyling this shipwreck data is becasue I plan on diving on these shipwrecks in the future purely for pleasure and not for monutry purposes.

Sorry about any of the spelling mistakes.

Seal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread