Help With Hall Mark On Mr Punch Cigar Cutter

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully some one may know what these hall marks are. I believe they are French and have found a similiar looking Dog Face on the 925-1000 silver site under french - towns and city marks before 1789 in the letter O section, town of Orleans commencing using the dog face mark in the year 1611. One of the marks looks like it could be 90 or 900 for silver content, the other mark looks like a shield.

Mr Punch is carved out of a solid piece of ivory, the silver collar with the hall marks has a design which looks like to me to represent the decorative trim on a booth that the puppet performers would do their show in. Both of these pieces look like they have some age to them. The cigar cutter appears to me to have been replaced at some time, it does not have and marking on it.

All comments, suggestions are appreciated.................Thanks

Attachments

• HMarkAll.JPG
    HMarkAll.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 456
  • HMark90.JPG
    HMark90.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 464
  • HMarkShield.JPG
    HMarkShield.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 483
  • HMarkDog.JPG
    HMarkDog.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 476
  • Cigar 1.JPG
    Cigar 1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 477
  • Cigar 3.JPG
    Cigar 3.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Cigar 6.JPG
    Cigar 6.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 516
  • Cigar 7.JPG
    Cigar 7.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 580
  • Cigar 9.JPG
    Cigar 9.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 585

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i generally associate the 900 in a diamond with argentine silver. the silver work definitely has a latin american look to me. i do not think this piece is much older than the 50s. perhaps the silver ferrule and steel cigar cutter were custom made to accommodate the punch figure, if you think that piece is antique, but i'm reasonably sure the silver and the business end are not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread