Febuary 5th sluicing and panning in SC.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I had a bunch of school work to do this morning, but towards the afternoon the fever was calling. I went and hit up a spot I knew had some gold. Well I sluiced and panned there for a couple hours.

I panned to figure out where the gold was hiding, and if I did find gold in the pan, then I ran a 5 gallon bucket from that spot through one of my drop riffle sluices. I didn't get to stay half as long as i wanted, but I guess that's always how it goes. I also sample panned a bunch around the area, which wasted valuable time I could have been sluicing the good spot. Most of the sample pans when I was testing different spots nearby had no gold so I guess I already found where the color is concentrated.

This is how I had my sluice setup.

Some of the material I was test panning before I dug dirt from that spot.

Some pictures of the creek, and some nice bedrock, as well as some of the quartz in that area.

Some test pans I did looking for where the gold was hiding.

Another test pan.

My best pan of the day. From one side of a boulder.

A test pan from the other side of that boulder.

One of the sluice cleanups. I ran two 5 gallon buckets, this was from the first 5 gallon bucket.

The final cleanup from the sluice cons and panning. I know its not a great pic but it was getting dark and I just did a fast pan. I went back out and tried to take another pic but it was too dark, so this will have to do.

Here's a video of one of the test pans with a couple pieces of gold.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2888/c3e.mp4

Here's feeding my sluice.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5999/250.mp4

Here's the gold from one 5 gallon bucket of material.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9641/mw7.mp4

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Way to go Astrobouncer, nice color for only a couple buckets!!! I will be headed out tomarrow while everyone else watches football. Hope I do at least half as good as what you got. Today I went with the wife and visited an old cemetery and the Stanford mansion in Sacramento, it was national museum day and all were free today, had a great time. Stopped by a spot where the ancient river crossed a road and grabbed a pan full to test, dug down about a foot real quick and hit a clay layer, panned out only a small speck and quite a bit of black fine fine sands. Hows the gold trap working? Thanks for all the pics, its always fun to see what others are up to and finding. Gravelwasher

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spot you have to dig around.
It is always nice to get a little reward for your hard work.
Off subject; My brother is looking to retire in Virginia. Is there any good dirt one can dig out there while visiting? any leads, I am not familiar with the east side.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Astro,
I was going through your great pictures and began to notice the silt in the water and then my mind came up with this, "what kind of snakes do you have there"? So, what is the answer to that question?

Glad you were able to get "out there" at this time of year though I'd think the water is cold. AND you got some color so good on Ya!

63bkpkr

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice color :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions