Any Gold in North Carolina?

Furismo

Dec 17, 2010
I recently bought a large Pro Miner sluice box. I tried slucing in some creeks near my house but have found nothing of interest. I live close to the Murphy, NC area. Is there any gold on the eastern side of NC? What type soil/ things should I look for when looking for gold sites? Around my area there is a lot of yellow Schist which can be a pain while panning.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Fur!! i do not know how much you know about gold prospecting, if not much you may be in the wrong place in the creek. place a white 5 galion bucket beside where you were digging, take a couple of photos to show what you were digging in. then get as far as you can away from the bucket as you can and still see it. take a few phptos showing as much of the creek and bank with the bucket as you can. maybe one on the forum that has had gold fever longer can tell us both if you were in right place and deep enough. [ type in gold in North Carolina ] click on North Carolina gold mines prospecting, that should help you to know if there is gold around you. Terry

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're in LUCK, but probably in the wrong place. Install GoogleEarth on your PC, then go to www.minecache.com and add the file through GoogleEarth. It will show you past and present producers of mines throughout the US. The other one that is good is the Mineral Resource Data System. It also is an add-in for GoogleEarth.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
F

Furismo

Dec 17, 2010
I used that add-on and found two sites that found Talc, Soapstone, and Gold. I only live about 3 miles from the listed sites :P.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to eastern prospectors site join the forum, lots of people in the carolinas there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread