Hello! Newbie sluicing question. Riffles and clasification / recovery Royal Mini

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

If I classify my material to 3/16" or better do I still need / want to use the riffle frame in a Royal Mini Sluice (30" w/ Flare) or is the expanded metal sufficient / more appropriate for small(er) gold? I don't yet know how to accurately measured my finds' size, but previous finds from this seller (using a pan) showed nice colors about the size of #28 shot. I wasn't sure if these are setup for classified materials or shoverls of field dirt (or both).

To clarify: I am testing my setup with internet bought classified dirt before heading to the field (for a nice stream, before I recirculate). I couldn't make a trip to Gold Country and get the dirt I have for what I paid..

Thanks in advance! I will introduce myself soonest. Just had a quick question as I make some plans.

Rob :hello:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nugget,
Welcome to the forum. Usually the expanded metal in sluiceboxes is pretty light gauge and not big enough to be used alone. I would use the riffles also. The eddy it creates will help catch more gold. I have a sluice with only 1" expanded metal but it is pretty heavy gauge. I usually only use it in moderate to slower flowing water or if I need another sluice for guest at my claim. Otherwise I use my Keene A52.

Good luck
B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread