Battery for Backpacking a Power Sluice

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I am converting a sluice to a power sluice and have it running off of a bilge pump. I would like to run 2 1200 gph pumps. Each draws 3.5 amps. To run a full day it looks like I'd have to haul a 30+ lb 50ah 12v battery with me. :(

So, does anyone ever backpack in a power sluice running a battery? Can I use 1 1200 gph pump and increase the angle from 2"/ft to something like 3"/ft? That way I can haul a lighter battery and still run a full day.

I'm in CA and the area I go to has a ton of black sand. The sluice I'm modifying is a Keene a51a with gold hog matting (razzerback & scrubber).

Thanks for the help. Also, I wasn't sure if I shoulda put this here or in the highbanker area. So, I apologize in advance if its the wrong section.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
those batteries are heavy! why not look for a small generator about 1000wats to run your device. they are somewhat light,quiet,and fairly cheap. itll run what you have just not as quiet as the batts.

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I run a 9Ah 12volt but cant run more than 2.5 hours. However as light and small as they are you could throw two in a pack and not know they are there. I do only run one pump and increase the angle.

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use these: Schumacher XP400 Jump Starter - Walmart.com

I have been able to run my Gold Cube with it for at least 4 hours if not more. Not too heavy to carry and easy to re-charge.

I started using this a little while ago, really handy to have around, especially if you get the one with the usb and the 12volt outlet. That way if you're in a jam and your phone dies you can still charge it up. It's simple to recharge and it's really light weight! Plus you can jump start your car with it to boot, this guy is always in my trunk!

OP
OP
socalocmatt

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

those batteries are heavy! why not look for a small generator about 1000wats to run your device. they are somewhat light,quiet,and fairly cheap. itll run what you have just not as quiet as the batts.

I looked into the generators but they seem to run about 50lbs empty for 1,000w :(

I run a 9Ah 12volt but cant run more than 2.5 hours. However as light and small as they are you could throw two in a pack and not know they are there. I do only run one pump and increase the angle.

Good to know about being able to run 1 1200 pump with a higher angle. I'll have to play around with some dirt at home.

I use these: Schumacher XP400 Jump Starter - Walmart.com

I have been able to run my Gold Cube with it for at least 4 hours if not more. Not too heavy to carry and easy to re-charge.

Very cool. How have gph are you running in your cube? The specs on the link say that it has a 5 amp hour battery which would last about 1.5 hours with a 1200 gph pump.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I power my cleanup sluice with a removable battery from a cordless drill.

I just shoved the bilge pump wires directly into the + and - plugs on the battery.

Light, rechargeable and I have a few of them.

Food for thought.

OP
OP
socalocmatt

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Well, for closure if someone pulls up this thread in the future:

I picked up a 12v 14 ah motorcycle battery at WalMart. Since there will be 2 of us going, I grabbed 1 for each to carry. It does add 9 lbs to each pack but its MUCH better then the 30+ lb batteries I was finding elsewhere. The way I figure, that'll give 4 hours of using both pump or 8 hours @ one pump. At least the option to use one or the other will be there.

Also, I was thinking about having to run this all day and then I realized that time management can help us not have to. So, I figure we can dig/classify material and just make a big mound of classified material for the first day and a half. Then last half of the second day can be used to run the sluice. Any down side to not going straight from the 5-gallon bucket to the sluice and just making a big pile and then running the sluice later?

I power my cleanup sluice with a removable battery from a cordless drill.

I just shoved the bilge pump wires directly into the + and - plugs on the battery.

Light, rechargeable and I have a few of them.

Food for thought.

I'll have to give that a try when I get back from my weekend out and about.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2-4 of these and a motorcycle battery. Expensive but light and portable, charge one battery while you run or just hook both batteries in parallel, hook the panels to the batteries, and run all day.

Last edited:

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. How have gph are you running in your cube? The specs on the link say that it has a 5 amp hour battery which would last about 1.5 hours with a 1200 gph pump.

I'm running the 1100 gph pump they sell with the unit. I have run it for longer than 1.5 hours (I believe at least 4) but I did stop and start a few times to change out the buckets for the tailings.

I think I will do a test next time and see how long it runs with a full charge.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pack your gear into a small garden cart with at least 20" wheels and you'll be able to easily pack a marine deep cycle battery that will run both for most if not all day. It makes packing out your cons easy too.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2-4 of these and a motorcycle battery. Expensive but light and portable, charge one battery while you run or just hook both batteries in parallel, hook the panels to the batteries, and run all day.

Also check this out :Solar Kits | BBOXX they sell kits ranging from 5Ah Battery-7W Solar Panel for low applications to 17Ah Battery- 50W Solar Panel (Foldable) that is also capable of powering AC devices (max 120W) using an external inverter, up to the higher end models (that contains an in-built inverter): 38Ah Battery- 120W Solar Panel /120Ah Battery- 185W Solar Panel . I think they are a bit pricey , but the quality is very good.
I intend to incorporate one of these kits in my recirculating (Popandson) sluice and a trommel build that I am planning. The batteries are very light for the portable fold-able models.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread