Decent day at Auburn SRA

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back and finished my hole, looks like it was just a flood deposit and I got most of ot rhe first day. Still have to pan out my cons but only got 10 or 15 little flakes...maybe a .10 gram :-( I'll post pics when I finish
P.s. weight from the one good day was 1.1 dwt

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear, maybe someone in this thread knows can I use a goldcube with a highbanker attachment in the Auburn rec area? Does the waterpump make it illegal? I read some other threads and suspect I can't at this point but could someone clarify. Thanks.

OP
OP
N

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I put 36 buckets through my new BGT Prospector today and came up with this:

IMG_1094.JPG

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Wow that looks great NorCal, and 36 buckets sounds like there's plenty of material to work you should do very well in that spot.
Good luck and good hunting
OBD

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you classify at all? How long we're you out there digging to do 36 buckets?

OP
OP
N

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you classify at all? How long we're you out there digging to do 36 buckets?

I did not classify. I was on the river for about 8 hours, including panning out all cons and stopping for lunch. My buddy came out for a few hours and he ran some buckets through the BGT as well. This was my first trip out with the BGT and I wanted to run as much material as possible. The gravel bar I'm working on is about 8 feet high from water level, layered with rocks, gravel, and sand from various floods. I haven't taken time to figure out which layers carry the most gold, but I think that could increase recovery. All layers carry some gold, so I've just been running it all.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NorCal I am not sure if you if you were at mineral bar or yankee jims or even ponderosa my rule of thumb is I never dig lower then two maybe three feet down as all I expect to find is Flood gold..There are a few exceptions I suspect... But generally below robbers Ravine By Iowa Hill on Down to clementine I will never dig to bedrock or hella deep as what tools are allowed and what is considered recreational Prospecting maybe an issue..Also there is alot of pockets with worthless gravel above the water line that are only inches to a couple feet above bedrock do a quick sample pan if no gold empty out that gravel and look for cracks and crevices I have done well doning that sometimes..I have shoveled bedrock from shelfs 10 feets above the water line just to break some cracks..

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NorCal, thanks for the added info, looks like your *first* run with the bgt went great!

OP
OP
N

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MadMarshall, thanks for the tips! I have no idea how far above bedrock the gravel bar lies--maybe 10, 20 or even 50 feet with all the old timers' tailings in the river. It's all flood gold where I've been working. I've been digging into the side of the bank rather than down from the surface to safe a lot of effort. I think I may shift tactics and find the pay streak working from the top down.

I am very impressed with the BGT Prospector. The surging river was a non-issue. On Todd's advice, I ran it as level as possible with good water flow to catch the fine gold. I was able to run 2-3 times as many buckets as I normally do with the A52 in a one-man operation. Gone are the days of feeding the sluice with a trowel!

OP
OP
N

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went out to Drivers Flat and Cherokee Bar last week on two separate trips. Drivers Flat has been plowed/leveled and is in decent condition. Sliger Mine Road to Cherokee Flat was a bit rougher. I definitely wouldn't try it without 4WD. Around 2PM, the river started rising about 5+ feet from where I was sluicing in the morning, and all those dry channels from earlier in the day had water in them!

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went out to Drivers Flat and Cherokee Bar last week on two separate trips. Drivers Flat has been plowed/leveled and is in decent condition. Sliger Mine Road to Cherokee Flat was a bit rougher. I definitely wouldn't try it without 4WD. Around 2PM, the river started rising about 5+ feet from where I was sluicing in the morning, and all those dry channels from earlier in the day had water in them!

So you don't recommend Sliger Mine road with a little saturn sedan? Was thinking of going up there on a day trip. I've done Drivers Flat road, so maybe I should use that one instead.

OP
OP
N

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sid, sorry for the *year late* reply, but as of last year, I wouldn't go down Sliger Mine Rd without a 4WD. I was overseas for nearly all of this season, so I can't speak to the current conditions. If I remember correctly, Drivers Flat is gated until April 15, but I'm not sure about Sliger Mine.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its gated too. April 15th.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Between Purdone and Nelson upstream is where the Yuba Goldfields ancient river of gold crosses the river,pulled many MANY pounds dredging and quite a bit detecting also. Hahaha I know thousands a places,hideyholes and niches after 57 years a gold grubbn' this state and don't mind sharing a few-John

Isn't Purdon part of the south yuba state park where you can't sluice? I hope I'm wrong. I've wanted to prospect there as it's near to me.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread