East Fork San Gabriel

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been wanting to ask this question for quite awhile. I see a big hard rock mine WAY up the canyon on google e. Anyone been that far up to sluice?

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Big Horn Mine? It's located up East Fork and through the narrows. There are a couple others but if that's the one you're talking about then I've backpacked that area and have been in that mine. It's no longer active and last I checked its sealed off now.

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some new places to start digging on the east fork. My prime location has been up a bit from that fallen down cement bridge north of the campsite, north of the east fork parking lot. Going to start hiking in further I guess.

I tried south of the party lot last week and boy-oh-boy was the sampling bad.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I need some new places to start digging on the east fork. My prime location has been up a bit from that fallen down cement bridge north of the campsite, north of the east fork parking lot. Going to start hiking in further I guess.

I tried south of the party lot last week and boy-oh-boy was the sampling bad.

Yea, ya gotta hoof it a bit to find some nice spots now from what I've experienced. But... its still a fun day hiking and playing around non-the-less.

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, ya gotta hoof it a bit to find some nice spots now from what I've experienced. But... its still a fun day hiking and playing around non-the-less.

Ball park for me, how far should we be hiking in from the parking lot to get some better color, or more of it!

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
About 2 miles or so. I'll usually head out for an hour and start looking from there. Makes me think to myself, "Damn I gotta get back out there again." lol

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 2 miles or so. I'll usually head out for an hour and start looking from there. Makes me think to myself, "Damn I gotta get back out there again." lol

I'm honestly thinking about getting a devoted GPS device for sampling out there. One with a camera would be awesome!

WestCoastLarry

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ball park for me, how far should we be hiking in from the parking lot to get some better color, or more of it!

There is still some gold at Heaton Flats. I saw it yesterday. But, it is supersmall and I don't think the paystreaks are very rich there. But, I went up with a buddy that his system fine tuned to move alot of material and he did well. Nothing chunky, but a sweet pan none-the-less. The Swan rock area has been worked but there are still spots that haven't been dug for quite some time. I'm seeing chunkier gold around there. Best of luck !

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Went out yesterday for about 3.5 hours (not including the hour hike in and back). Not a bad day for moving less than 10 half full buckets though. I save the -100 to run in the winter so that's not pictured.

Attachments

• image-1443887911.jpg
    image-1443887911.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3835737252.jpg
    image-3835737252.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 169

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Horn Mine? It's located up East Fork and through the narrows. There are a couple others but if that's the one you're talking about then I've backpacked that area and have been in that mine. It's no longer active and last I checked its sealed off now.

Yes, the Big Horn seems to be located on one of many exposed quartz veins up there. Its a pretty good bet that's at least part of the origin of gold found way
downstream. A sampling with sluice box of the canyon, say a quarter mile down from the Big Horn would be on my list if I lived in the area. I see on g.e. that
its a five mile hike BEYOND the bridge to nowhere, so maybe coming down from hwy 2 would be easier. Then again, maybe i'm a crazy old coot. :tongue3:

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Yes, the Big Horn seems to be located on one of many exposed quartz veins up there. Its a pretty good bet that's at least part of the origin of gold found way
downstream. A sampling with sluice box of the canyon, say a quarter mile down from the Big Horn would be on my list if I lived in the area. I see on g.e. that
its a five mile hike BEYOND the bridge to nowhere, so maybe coming down from hwy 2 would be easier. Then again, maybe i'm a crazy old coot. :tongue3:

Not crazy. I go there when I take 3-day trips. Some good areas and not many people. No water at big horn mine but it comes out of the ground just above the narrows. Great camping in that area. The bad part is the hike out. Its a pain in the arse. Especially with a sluice, shovel, and other gear.

AuSniper

Aug 5, 2013
Corona, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just getting back into prospecting. I'm geared up and ready to get at it with someone who is interested in getting it done. I'm always looking for a bigger nugget than my current record (which isn't worth mentioning). I'm in Corona and can be available any day of the week. You can reach me at [email protected] if you want to set up a day trip.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet, Sniper - hope you find some au mining buddies. HH

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out yesterday for about 3.5 hours (not including the hour hike in and back). Not a bad day for moving less than 10 half full buckets though. I save the -100 to run in the winter so that's not pictured.

When you refer to the hike in, you mean on the dirt trail/road at the end of the east fork rd? The trail to the bridge to nowhere?

Not trying to get your spot, I'm just trying to determine how far in I should be going in. Right now, I'm only hiking in a mile or two.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
When you refer to the hike in, you mean on the dirt trail/road at the end of the east fork rd? The trail to the bridge to nowhere?

Not trying to get your spot, I'm just trying to determine how far in I should be going in. Right now, I'm only hiking in a mile or two.

No worries. I'm not one to care much about a spot. There's plenty of AU to go around IMO.

When I refer to the start of the hike. I'm talking about the point that I leave the parking area which guides you upstream to the bridge to nowhere. So, at the rate I hike upstream, I was probably about 3 miles in from that parking lot.

Also, I'm from Norco so I'm in your neck of the woods. I'll be emailing y'all when I have a planned trip up there. More often then not my trips are decided the night prior.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hiking in "deep" is the key to success at the East Fork these days. More gold and way less zombies, gang banggers and government people.

Last edited:

dginsac

Sep 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. I just moved to San diego from the sacramento area. I was doing a lot of work in the gold rich area's of the foothills just past Auburn but got transferred down here a few months ago. I've been reading a lot and would love to hit up the East fork or Lytle or something. I'm completly new to so Cal so i really dont know the area. I'm looking at going up next weekend maybe camping Saturday night if the yellow is showing. I'd like to meet someone at the I-15 and show me the rest of the way in. Ive been looking for actual driving directions the any of the spots but i can't seem to find them. It might be just because i've never been that far up the 15 yet. Oh and im not looking to do any drywashing. I'll be just happy with my pans and sluice in the water. Feel free to text me if your willing to guide me to water, i can take it from there. The company is always welcome but i dont want anyone to think that im going after their glory hole. Anyway, love to hear from you guys. 619-572-2674

WestCoastLarry

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see on g.e. that
its a five mile hike BEYOND the bridge to nowhere, so maybe coming down from hwy 2 would be easier.

I doubt it. And even if it were, it would only be easier in the way that running ten marathons may be easier than climbing Mt. Everest !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread