WHICH TYPE OF MATTING SHOULD I USE?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I'm running about 10 deg. LOL, I just had to go check again because I just watch the mat action to set the sluice. I'm usually set up on a sloped area so I don't pay much attention to the deg. just the mat action. I'm running a 1200gph pump but anywhere between 1200 and 1500 works fine. I've also found that different pumps put out different flows even at the same rating so that's another reason I watch the mat and not the deg. The drops are approx. 1/2" deep by 3/4" wide and the spacing apart does make a difference.:unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, Is it possible to see a picture of your mats to see the relation of the mats to the drop riffles? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm running about 10 deg. LOL, I just had to go check again because I just watch the mat action to set the sluice. I'm usually set up on a sloped area so I don't pay much attention to the deg. just the mat action. I'm running a 1200gph pump but anywhere between 1200 and 1500 works fine. I've also found that different pumps put out different flows even at the same rating so that's another reason I watch the mat and not the deg. The drops are approx. 1/2" deep by 3/4" wide and the spacing apart does make a difference.:unhappysmiley:

Watching the action of the material in the sluice is definitely a "smarter" approach than using a simple rule of thumb on angle or speed. That said, posting a video of the sluice in action may help here...to get reads from others on the in flow action.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
You can also see a picture of the super concentrator on Cabela's website under gold prospecting.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Doug,

I didn't realize you were marketing your sluice. I wouldn't have asked so many proprietary questions.

GG~

Last edited:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Not a problem. It was a hobby that got away from me. I'm glad to share what I can with people. That's what makes it fun and the people are the best. It's a never ending quest to try to make something better and we're all learning all the time. At least I am. The group here is outstanding and I encourage people to build their own if they can because a person learns a lot from the successes and mistakes we make along the way. I'll share all I can. I grew up not having anyone in mining and also I wasn't in a great gold area and information was so hard to find. Then the GPAA started and information became more available, then the internet, forums, clubs etc. and now WOW, look at all the info just for the asking! So, if I can contribute just a little to someone it feels good.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks Kevin. The (Look what I did) part was about getting the pictures posted not the gold. The gold in the pan is about 1/2 -50 and the other 1/2 is -100.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin. The (Look what I did) part was about getting the pictures posted not the gold. The gold in the pan is about 1/2 -50 and the other 1/2 is -100.
Well kudos on the "high tech moment" too then lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread