Classifying

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Whites,Le trap,Gold Hogg sluice,bed rock tools
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been in the gold fields for number years and have developed better ways of classifying material for sluicing.The old 5 gallon bucket method sucks and its slow and in some cases you will loose gold. the only time I ever use a bucket classifier is when Im using a pan to test or to work bed rock cracks.Try using a rake or even better a 4 pronged rake ,you can get the rocks out faster.Another method I like is taking a 50 or 30 gallon plastic barrel and cutting it in half lengthwise into a half barrel.Tie a rope handle to it so now you can drag it when its loaded with material.Use a plastic milkcrate to class your material down to 1 inch.You can also fill the barrel with water place the milk crate in the barrel and shovel into the milk crate.Give it a shake ,and you move material faster this this way.The barrel can be dragged over rocks and all kinds of crap easily loaded with paydirt.A 50 gallon plastic barrel can hold 7 or 8 buckets worth of material at once.The barrel can also be used to get pay dirt from dry areas such as benches and allow you to move the material down to the sluice,with out lugging buckets.Just be sure to manage your tailings right,dont pile rocks on top of good ground.Common mistake.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the places I get into the 50/30 Gallon drum idea isn't very practical, but still a cool idea, if I ever set up a claim or have access to private property that may be one that I have to try.

OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Whites,Le trap,Gold Hogg sluice,bed rock tools
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Different stuff for different situations,ideally a wheel barrel is good. Cant always use either,and your stuck with the dreaded bucket.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I named my classifier Bazooka:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread