Need help buying a sluice.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many GPM do the various zook sizes require? Can they be used in a recirc situation?

Yes, but I don't have the figures here at hand and it is late. I think Goodyguy may have had pictures on how to connect water to the tubes in the fluid bed and others probably also. Tomorrow I will try to scan and see what I can find and post it if I get time. But the short answer is yes, you can use them in a recirc situation. Try it with a smaller bazooka, since the larger one require more water.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bazooka has a high banker coming out sometime soon. If you go to their website and look under their blog they have a video posted.

justinfisch01

Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to pile on here like most people. I originally bought a regular riffle/expanded metal sluice. It took forever to get it setup correctly which I doubt I ever go it right. Do your self a favor and buy a Bazooka, build a wing dam to increase your flow. You will catch more gold and prospecting will be a lot more enjoyable

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the manufactures sluices will catch gold....... Just not as well as a bazooka.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just the volume of material you can move makes the bazooka a better choice IMO. I was able to move 15 3 gallon buckets through mine the other day in a few hours and I wasn't going real fast. The last time I used my Keene I got about 3 5 gallon buckets classified down and then that was probably only about 7 gallons of classified material through the sluice over the same amount of time. The other thing is I can't help but wonder what if I missed a nice sized nugget from classifying all those buckets before I got my bazooka. Now if there's a nice big nugget it will fall out at the grizzlies.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many GPM do the various zook sizes require? Can they be used in a recirc situation?

All of them. LoL
Yes, but you're going to need some good pump, I'm imagining a couple bilge pumps shooting 8,000 + GPH

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
All of them. LoL
Yes, but you're going to need some good pump, I'm imagining a couple bilge pumps shooting 8,000 + GPH

This makes me wonder if there is a rule of thumb about target velocity. 8000 GPM in a zook sniper assuming both the upper and lower were uniformly flooded at the entire cross section 4.5x4.5 inches neglecting the wall thicknesses put flow at 127 ft/sec = 87 MPH.

Anybody have knowledge of target water velocity ranges? Given that info the flow could be designed.

Looking at the diagram zook has up the lower section 'scoop' restricts down to pipe inlet(s) so the flow would be even faster, nearly twice if the cross section available is almost half.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure about water velocity or wall thickness... all I know is you jam that sucker between a couple boulders with good water flow and you shovel your arse off!!! Remember mo water mo better!!!

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can afford it, buy a Bazooka. If not, and you're handy, make a fluid bed trap yourself. And if you want the most for the least, buy an Angus MacKirk.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This makes me wonder if there is a rule of thumb about target velocity. 8000 GPM in a zook sniper assuming both the upper and lower were uniformly flooded at the entire cross section 4.5x4.5 inches neglecting the wall thicknesses put flow at 127 ft/sec = 87 MPH.

Anybody have knowledge of target water velocity ranges? Given that info the flow could be designed.

Looking at the diagram zook has up the lower section 'scoop' restricts down to pipe inlet(s) so the flow would be even faster, nearly twice if the cross section available is almost half.

No. He was exaggerating. You don't really want THAT much water.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful river, i like all the above mentioned sluices. I personally like drop riffle sluices such as Angus MacKirk. I am currently using a Brawn easy clean sluice and love it.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful river, i like all the above mentioned sluices. I personally like drop riffle sluices such as Angus MacKirk. I am currently using a Brawn easy clean sluice and love it.

Do you have the Brawn with the Louver Riffles? I like the Brawn Dredges but I wasnt so sure about the box with the louver riffles.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't buy into the louvers. Studies show fine gold can even avoid holes in punch plate due to surface tension....so theres no way I can trust thae louver set up. I'm sure they did testing but...nah..... Dan is using a drop riffle.

Last edited:

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't buy into the louvers. Studies show wine gold can even avoid holes in punch plate due to surface tension....so theres no way I can trust thae louver set up. I'm sure they did testing but...nah..... Dan is using a drop riffle.

I am a little skeptical too.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I don't own a BGT but have watched several videos demonstrating their ease of use. I agree with everyone suggesting the BGT if all you are ever planning to do is shovel material.
When I got back into prospecting a little over a year ago, I was looking for the easiest sluice based on my local water conditions. I ended up settling on a drop riffle (RCM and AM explorer). Man do these catch the fines. Now a question to keep in mind is how far do you want to go with your prospecting/mining adventure. I knew I ultimately wanted my own claim and hoped that dredges would be back in the water and I would have a dredge operation going on. With this in mind, I chose to invest in the keene A52. I agree that these stream sluices can be agrivating at times trying to set them up. But when I finally got the settings right, it was a piece of cake. Although it is not a dredge sluice, I have learned the mechanics of feed v. flow v. angle which will apply to dredging as well as highbanking/powersluicing. So just some food for thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread