BGT Prospector- How Much Water Do You Really Need?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking this morning and something dawned on me. Due to another year of drought I am battling low water at my spot. Last time out I used the ol' A-51 and did my best to get every oz of flow thru the box.

I've been thinking the BGT needs twice as much water just from looking at the profile. A lightbulb went on in my brain. The bottom only can use what goes through these little tubes. With little holes.

Sure it needs some pressure but how much could it be in volume? Can any of you experts help me out here? (And no I can't get a Sniper. ) Well maybe. )

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used my sniper in an area where there was very little water. just built a dam and used a tarp. it worked great. I just had to make sure it was steep. it was weird to I was afraid of loosing gold but I got it set so it was just enough water and drop to clear the bazooka. still had to hand clean the screen of some of the larger stuff but most of it went off cause of the angle it was on. so as long as the water is deep enough or you can make it deep enough to go over the skid plate and have it on a good angle it shouldn't be a problem. as for that you could always get a mini or super mini or a sniper. the minis work amazing in low water flow areas. and once you learn to steadily feed it you can easily empty a bucket in 4 5 minutes tops. thebazooka is a fluid bed. they work best when feed material. just don't over feed it like dump half a bucket in 10 second and expect the little trap to handle it. but slow and easy feather feeding works great on all the bazookas. it took me a second to understand that fluid beds work best when being fed.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
If flows are a continuing problem strip your sluice and lay black mat in it. Im talking stoopidly slow flows and still runs dirt just fine.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking this morning and something dawned on me. Due to another year of drought I am battling low water at my spot. Last time out I used the ol' A-51 and did my best to get every oz of flow thru the box.

I've been thinking the BGT needs twice as much water just from looking at the profile. A lightbulb went on in my brain. The bottom only can use what goes through these little tubes. With little holes.

Sure it needs some pressure but how much could it be in volume? Can any of you experts help me out here? (And no I can't get a Sniper. ) Well maybe. )

There were some suggestions in addition to Skiddum's comments above about using a dam, a tarp and a steep angle about how to increase the flow in the trap area. Check out this thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/453131-frankenzooka-coming-soon-larger-removable-pipes-clear-trap-after-work-project-2.html

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replys. I already use a wing dam and tarp. Literally close to 100% of the water goes thru my sluice/zook.

My point was; how much water actually goes through the lower deck. The more I think about it, I may not need as much as I thought. It won't be twice as much but maybe 40% more.

Thanks GG I may have to try that black mat setup later this year.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right. Not much thru that lower level. The pipes really limit water use dramatically down there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear Kevin. Now I've got the green light from the expert😎. With that and the bit of rain we're expecting I am encouraged. I'll be out this weekend tearing it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread