Types of sluices

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

In my very preliminary study of sluices (newb alert!) there seems to be different types, yes?

Not different brands, but types. Seems to have to do with the riffles, or the theory behind getting
the gold, such as the Bazooka. The riffles are turned upwards, they are downwards, or no riffles at all!

Can someone explain the different type of sluices in 1,000, 000 words or less? :)

Many thanks.

Tim

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Underflow fluid bed sluices, and drop riffle sluices... There are hundreds of types and brands but one principal.
Fluidized material. The goal of all sluices is to exchange light material for heavy material.
Riffles do this, and fluid beds do as well.
The debate between the two will last on.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will soon be posting photos and video of my latest invention..... "Double Vortex Underflow Drop Riffle Fluid Bed Sluice" to be used with a Highbanker or Trommel.

Stay tuned, It will be on a thread of it's own after final field testing and it should be a snap to make your own from fairly easily available common parts.

GG~

Last edited:

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha - you just need to add a Miller Table to the end of this invention! Shovel one end and snuffer bottle on the other.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a hint....... Will use vortex mat on the bottom with anti fatigue mat across the top leaving rows of holes/wells across the vortex mat (creating the double vortex action) with a few drop riffles added for good measure. There is a space created between the bottom of the holes/wells and the vortex mat due to the design of the bottom of the anti-fatigue mat that creates the underflow while maintaining proper fluidization of the vortex mat underneath.

vortex4.jpg 20100422125536_AntiFatigueMatting-Hex2.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Will soon be posting photos and video of my latest invention..... "Double Vortex Underflow Drop Riffle Fluid Bed Highbanker/Trommel Sluice"
Stay tuned, It will be on a thread of it's own after final field testing and it should be a snap to make your own from fairly easily available common parts.

GG~
Oh MAN...... You obviously have WAY too much free time on your hands........:laughing7:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will soon be posting photos and video of my latest invention..... "Double Vortex Underflow Drop Riffle Fluid Bed Highbanker/Trommel Sluice"

GG~

That is hilarious!! Provided they are NOT way more than a Bazooka, I might be interested. :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will soon be posting photos and video of my latest invention..... "Double Vortex Underflow Drop Riffle Fluid Bed Sluice" to be used with a Highbanker or Trommel.

GG~

Way to go GG, I appreciate your ingenuity with building stuff !

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2015-04-15-16-33-11.png
Bazooka aka fluid bed 1 of the best for real Fine gold recovery and far easier to set up and run with no classifing witch makes things far easier. all in all you can shovel straight from the river right into the sluice. you wanna move allot of material then this is the beast. even the small ones will move more material than a normal riffle sluice

Screenshot_2015-04-15-16-34-56.png
Drop riffle. angus mackirk drop riffle sluice. angus mackirk and Le trap make some of the best. there design and theroy makes these a great sluice for catching really fine gold and large gold alike. but you may have to classify.

Screenshot_2015-04-15-16-33-43.png Screenshot_2015-04-15-16-33-50.png
underflow sluice. there river sluice is probably the absolute most difficult sluice to set up. it has to have a spacific amount of water, to much and it blows everything right out. to little and it doesn't work. and I mean spacific. the small 1 needs like 100gph no more. then it can only handle 3 gallons of material an hour. to much and it overloads it. there river sluice can handle more but still in my opinion better to have it as a highbanker. and even then. you still need to classify and just to picky to be used as a sluice. and my opinion for the price of there highbanker the smallest 1 you'd be better off with the gold cube. it's been proven and has allot of attackments that are great for cleaning up and using on the river

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2015-04-15-17-00-02.png
gold cube.
one of the best highbankerZ out there. made specifically for Fine gold.
Screenshot_2015-04-15-17-04-26.png
if you add the gold banker that goes on top it's the perfect river highbanker. this guy works buy pushing the small gold under water so it breaks the surface tension so it can't float and then gets caught in either the pee trap but mostly gets caught in the mat. it's a great tool and wasspacifically made for beach sand and ultra fine gold. the gold banker makes it so you can get pickers and so on without having to worry about classifying

also there's a new pan sluice combo made by gold cube. it looks like it's would be a great tool and it's made by these guys so they know what there doing and tested by many trusted people including some of the people here and they like it so.. that should speak for itself again no classifing and I hear is really good a grabbing fine gold
Watch "Banjo Pan Beta 1" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/4pfPftX1eSY
personally before you get sluices and so on make sure you are really good at panning and know where to pan and use bigger equipment.
also you need to know the rules and regs of the area you plan on looking. different areas have different rules. some is pan only some is anything nonMachanical. others are fish and gold pamphlet, others are pretty much everything within a certain size. so make sure.
also get some book or maps on your state. if you go to the blm they usually have maps that show where all the open claims are, where the private property is and allot of information. so there's allot of great information. theres tons of books that teach advanced prospecting witch is geology and how to tell different rocks and such to find good places to find gold. pretty much reading the lay of the land. clubs are a great way to learn all the is stuffand meat allot of cool people and also get to try out different equipment. most the guys have different sluices pans and all kinds of things they'll let you try out if you want

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a video showing 2 different sluices, one is a drop riffle sluice, the other is a straight through with shark tooth matting:

The blue one should have been ran in deeper water to increase the flow though

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure I understand the principal way they work,, hydraulic riffles, fluid beds, etc, any site that explains this?

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch "Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1" on YouTube
Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1: https://youtu.be/IlKmPslbKe4
this 1 shows how the fluid bed works.
also cool thing with bazooka is the skid plate starts classifing right from the start. all the lights get blown away first then the heavier material then the gold and stuff that weights around its level. then it gets pushed down under water as it hits the trap and can't get out. watch the video to fully understand.

if you go to angus mackirk and look at the recon 2 or the boss there's a little picture that shows the idea behind there rifle system. the idea of a drop riffle especially with the dual flair in then out is to increase Pres and water speed then decrease pressure. the idea is that gold is heavy so as the water is speak up it slurries and the material and forces the gold to the bottom. then as it opens up the speed and pressure drops allowing the gold to fall through everything more and settle in the riffles cause the riffles cause a nice little pond to say. there's no current at the bottom of the riffles so the gold just sits there. and everything ontop is being rolled right to the top of the bottom of the riffles if that makes sense.

the drop riffle sluices are far better than most the regular ones for many reasons.
some of these guys could explain the drop riffle better than I. my focus has been on the fluid bed.
1 really nice thing about drop riffle sluices is that there super easy to clean. far far easier that a regular sluice. no extra parts and so on you just tip it up in a bucket and splash water over the riffles. and walla everything settles in the bucket.
the bazooka are just as easy. the small ones you put the trap end in your pan with a little water and just shake them back and forth and it's clean.

now the underflow sluice is simple.
it's a pee trap the heavy stuff can't get out if it's set up right. but to much water forces it to blow everything right out. to much material and it gets to full and backs up and boom blow out. so yeah. the gold cube I'm my opinion is far better. same idea, but more refined and can handle far more material and has far better retention. along with the fact it's far far easier to set up and with the right set up you don't need to worry about classifying and it'll catch nuggets. and considering the cost of the underflow sluice you might as well get the gold cube and the gold banker

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GG~

Nevermind, False Alarm, FAIL!
Sounded good, looked good on paper, didn't pan out sorry to say did not pass the field test...........

The vortex mat on the bottom worked flawlessly as usual. But the anti-fatigue mat on top of it allowed too much material underneath due to it's buoyancy that I hadn't accounted for... DOH! Plus it really served no good purpose. Just collected an unnecessary volume of useless material. All you really need is the vortex mat by itself or in some cases expanded metal over it.

However I'm not ready to give up on the anti-fatigue mat just yet. It did have some interesting performance characteristics in that it was very "active" so I'm going to level the bottom of it and glue it to a solid rubber sheet and try it as a stand alone mat in the sluice box..... sort of a poor mans gold well. If that works out like I think it will then I'll start a new thread with a how to step by step on making your own.

Here are a couple photos of the fail.................

fail1.jpg fail2.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

allenkeeton

Jun 26, 2014
cartersville, GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The vortexes drop down into an underflow lined with drop riffles that each act like a fluid bed. 100 percent gold recovery down to the atoms.

bullshit.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions