Mini Bazooka thoughts

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go for a small sniper. Down the road you can get a bigger Prospector. Both great tools for many flow scenarios.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed. The mini really needs a classifier which is more $$, get the 30" Sniper instead and the the only classifiers you need are a kitchen strainer and a 50 mesh for finish panning.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mini is great for prospecting cuz it's so easy to set up and tear down. Get a bigger model if you want to move dirt.

kengold

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like Tim I am thinking of getting a bazooka. At the moment I am using a 36in Angus McKirk AU trap and getting pretty good results but I have probably been using it wrongly because I shovel most sized rocks straight in and I suspect I am losing quite a bit of gold because some large stones do sit over the riffles. I don't have the patience or a good enough back to classify. I was thinking of the 36in Prospector because it seems reasonably lightweight, which is important to me, but is it the best bazooka choice under 37 inch and is it worthwhile getting another smaller bazooka to cope with lower water conditions and perhaps a backpack- say a super mini or 24in sniper?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mackirk sluices you really should at least classify down to 1/2" is the recommended thing for those and what happens the bigger rocks can cause water surge therefore blowing out gold

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have back trouble I'd suggest you get the 30" Sniper. It uses less water, weighs less and won't let you get overcome by gold fever and hurt yourself like a Prospector might ;-)

Then set a big rock next to the top corner of the sluice, rest your full shovel on the Rock and sorta shake the material off the shovel into the sluice. Back trouble free sluice!

PS run it steeeep! So you don't have to bend over to clear the grizzly. Don't worry, it'll still keep the gold!

davidhorton001

Apr 5, 2014
I have a super mini and I love how fast it is to set up. Here are my thoughts.

It works in small steams and big steams and doesn't need as much water flow
I personally don't classify my material, with the proper angle and water flow I can send rocks that range in size from 1"-4"+ down the skip plate and not have to touch it. And catch fly poop.
Clean up is fast

The cons
The super mini can only handle so much material. I usually do a half a shovel full at a time or slowly dump a 3 gal bucket. If you find a spot and you need to move a lot a dirt the mini will do it but it will take a lot of time.

The trap is small so you have to empty it more often.

Well that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps

kengold

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have back trouble I'd suggest you get the 30" Sniper. It uses less water, weighs less and won't let you get overcome by gold fever and hurt yourself like a Prospector might ;-)

Then set a big rock next to the top corner of the sluice, rest your full shovel on the Rock and sorta shake the material off the shovel into the sluice. Back trouble free sluice!

PS run it steeeep! So you don't have to bend over to clear the grizzly. Don't worry, it'll still keep the gold!

Thanks for this and all your other information on the bazookas -that is really helpful

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very excited to get my email today that my 36" Prospector has been shipped! I've been reading all the threads and I too would like to thank all of you for some great advice and input.

I haven't been this excited for the UPS driver in a loooooong time. Now I just need my May vacation to get here!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Supermini and a Prospector. I use the super most of the time due to ease of use. I can get it out of the water, dump the trap and get it back in the cradle in less than fifteen seconds. Here is some gold caught with my Supermini last week.

IMG_5453.JPG

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the way everybody talks of the bazooka, I feel like they make sluices like the A52 obsolete

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the way everybody talks of the bazooka, I feel like they make sluices like the A52 obsolete

Not obsolete, but...... Bazookas are a better alternative where stream conditions are conducive or can be made conducive by minor damming to operate one. Operating one usually requires no classifying thus maximizing potential outing throughput. Simple formula....The more paydirt you run, the more gold you recover.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Supermini and a Prospector. I use the super most of the time due to ease of use. I can get it out of the water, dump the trap and get it back in the cradle in less than fifteen seconds. Here is some gold caught with my Supermini last week.

View attachment 1148612

Not to hijack the thread but holy cow mojo, just killing the gold, amazing...

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go Mojo! Bazooka power all the way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread