sluiceing a second time

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just saw this

after his first sluice, he does the cleanup, then puts the concentrates through the sluice again instead of panning. i assume he pans that later but its not in the video

it seems like having to do a whole other cleanup is far more work than just panning after the first sluice run, unless you can collect a few days of concentrate and 2nd sluice in one shot. (i think the downside of that is you have no idea if you are on pay until you do the final pan)

what do you pros think? is this guy nuts?

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with concentrating the concentrates...

I would assume there was more than one cleanup in that 5 gallon bucket. If there wasn't, then it doesn't make sense.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This guys nuts for other reasons:
- clean up process takes him waaaay too long
- processing so little material, so slowly is also a waste of his time at the stream

If he wants serious gold (who doesn't?!) he needs more dirt moved and faster! He needs to learn to maximize his equipment or get other gear he is more confident in running hard!!!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This guys nuts for other reasons:
- clean up process takes him waaaay too long
- processing so little material, so slowly is also a waste of his time at the stream

If he wants serious gold (who doesn't?!) he needs more dirt moved and faster! He needs to learn to maximize his equipment or get other gear he is more confident in running hard!!!
:laughing7:...Yup I agree completely...:occasion14:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another thing. Although if it was caught in the sluice the first time, it SHOULD be caught a second time. BUT what if he sets it up slightly different? more pitch to one side than another, more angle? he could REALLY screw himself doing this, learn to pan it out quickly, there are much faster ways of concentrating your concentrates. Pan it out till you see the black sands and take just a bit off the top and dump the rest into a folgers can or something for later

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Here I thought the definition of insanity was to repeat something over and love and expect a different result. I think the guy is more than a little off in his thinking.
Now, that being said, I will rerun tailings to check them for blow throughs but I always use a different type of sluice. I might run it through my highbanker first, then rerun the tailings with my drop riffle or vice versa.
Where I've been prospecting for the last two months I started with the highbanker but quickly learned that it wasn't the best choice for the materials. Way too much magnatite sand for the highbanker! Mats were filling up with it after only a half bucket! The drop riffle allows the gold to be trapped but a lot of the magnatite sands to flow out of the sluice. By running it at a shallower angle and feeding it a little slower, the gold, including flour, is caught just fine.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once I get the gold in the box I take it out and keep it. I don't give the river a second chance to get it back.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
After I safety pan the concentrates into a tub or another pan, I keep the good stuff in a small bucket and resluice the rest. I figure whatever I missed in panning, I have a chance at catching the next time around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread