how to see gold in a bazooka before cleaning it out?

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've noticed than on a conventional sluice like a Keene, which has a mat at the front, small nuggets collect on there so you get a pretty good idea right from the get go if you are on pay

it seems to me all the magic in a bazooka is totally hidden from view until you do a clean-out (although not sure, i did see one video when someone said small nuggets collect in front of the grizzlies)

i was wondering about putting a mat in front of the grizzlies to catch small nuggets. anyone try that?

there's a lot to choose from http://www.goldhog.com/sluice_mats.htm

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've noticed than on a conventional sluice like a Keene, which has a mat at the front, small nuggets collect on there so you get a pretty good idea right from the get go if you are on pay

it seems to me all the magic in a bazooka is totally hidden from view until you do a clean-out (although not sure, i did see one video when someone said small nuggets collect in front of the grizzlies)

i was wondering about putting a mat in front of the grizzlies to catch small nuggets. anyone try that?

there's a lot to choose from Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat
nuggets catch themselves. Good luck with that. Concentrate on catching fines and any nuggets you may come across will be there. Have you even stuck a pan in the water yet???

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

there's a lot to choose from Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat

Well, I did consider it when I first got my Bazooka. I talked to folks here and to the folks that make the Bazookas. General consensus was that it may interfere with the fluid dynamics of the water, though it would likely show you small gold specs. As noted, nuggets take care of themselves. Then you have to clean the rubber matting in addition to the trap. So I never did add the ribbed mat to my Bazooka. You certainly can try it, if you like.

But if you don't try it, you just do a quick clean up and check the cons to see if you have gold. Or do some sample pans first (or both).

HTH

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting to see the inner working with the plexiglass top. thanks for posting.

in a bazooka where you can't see anything, how do you know when its time to do a clean out?

(yes, i know i haven't used mine yet, just ordered it 2 days ago, and maybe its obvious what to do when i start using it, so if you are planning to complain about me asking stupid questions, maybe best not read my posts)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no, does that disqualify me from finding out everything i can, and prepare my equipment before i start?

No, but I think your over thinking it and spending a lot of effort and possibly cash on something you might not even like. It is very hard work. Your post indicate your only interested in how much money you can make.. Good luck with that.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
no, does that disqualify me from finding out everything i can, and prepare my equipment before i start?

Thing is your ignoring the material we have posted in other threads you have asked questions on.... I have posted things like "How to build and operate a sluice, Info on clean up and classifying your run material and cons, panning videos, and more. And what do you come back with ?... Gee that's too much work ... do I have to go through all that to get my ton of gold? Even Kevin's condensed clean up steps.. You ask him if he does that "Every Time"....

Now the Bazooka is a fine sluice and it does a lot of the classifying of the run material for you, but that is just a start.... You have a lot to learn and you still only focus on the "How much gold is in my whatever".....

So this is my last response to you and any of your posts. People here are very helpful but you just don't seem to "Get it"

Have a fun summer, Be sure you are NOT on somebody else's claim when your out boon-docking, I don't want to read about "an Accident.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see small flakes run down the deck before entering the trap. If you sample well you will know your running decent material. Clean out every few buckets if you really want to see how your doing. Honestly until ypour more experienced it doesn't matter much your gonna slow your self down worrying about it. Success sampling panning and knowing the area your digging is gonna tell you more then what you see in the v-mat while your sluicing.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure where you're at but unless you are dealing with super heavies, clean up when you just can't shovel anymore. Ribbed mat thread consensus was it will slow you down.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldwasher just told you everything you need to know. Follow what he said and you will get the gold. The only thing I can add is a Bazooka is a gold catcher,Not a gold finder. You have to be on the gold to able to collect it. Good Luck

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P.S. Post Pics of your gold. Good Luck.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best way to find out if you are on good pay is to pan the area before you start shoveling.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. Post Pics of your gold. Good Luck.

love to, just not sure how much time i'll have on the net once i get going. there is next to no cell coverage in the sierras i think, although i'll probably get down to a coffee shop with free wifi a few times a week.

i'm actually going to document the entire trip, reality show style, and post on youtube

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Start with the gold then the equipment.. You don't want to get into bad habits.. I advise start simple let the gold dictate the tools. Learn the basics, learn how to prospect.. LEARN HOW TO PAN... Anyway All to common for people to let the equipment dictate their prospecting.

Many people prepare to recover the gold... To bad they just never learned how to find it..

Do your research on the areas you intend to sample.. Learn prospecting teqniques.. LOAMING...... Anyway it of my opinion you may be putting the cart before the horse...
I hope you have a successful season...

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've never heard the term 'loaming' before. i looked it up and found this Loaming for Gold - Arizona Outback very interesting article. thanks.

its interesting that his big find in this case was quite far (10's or feet anyhow) from the creek. up to this point, i've read a lot about where to find gold in creeks and rivers but this is a really good description or how to prospect surrounding areas. this is why i ask a lot of questions, i would likely have never found this article if you hadn't posted that comment.

i'm sure knowing where to look is the key to success. i've learned a lot for this great forum and youtube and i got on the new 49ers mailing list and get great emails every day with links to lots of interesting articles.

Last edited:

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
love to, just not sure how much time i'll have on the net once i get going. there is next to no cell coverage in the sierras i think, although i'll probably get down to a coffee shop with free wifi a few times a week.

i'm actually going to document the entire trip, reality show style, and post on youtube

I live in the Sierras. Covered just fine. Granted of you go boony crashing down a 2,000 river canyon you probably won't get anything.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Sierras. Covered just fine. Granted of you go boony crashing down a 2,000 river canyon you probably won't get anything.

going way off topic here, but what service? i hear verison and at&t are the best i that area.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Both. Depends on where you are which works best. I currently am using Verizon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread