Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry .... could not resist...

Short answer: RTFM (read the f***** manual)
Longer answer: STFF (searcht the f***** forum)
Very long answer: It depends!

I'll try to break it down from my reading and understanding, Not from real experience so far. Others might chime in if I say something wrong.
The average angle is about 5° to 10°. The optimum depends on water speed as well. You want to keep the grates more or less self cleaning and the fluidbed fluidized. Not more not less.

If in doubt dont be shy. Poke your finger deep into the fluidbed and feel how you are doing - like at the wife. If fluidized, you are doing right - go on - think less work harder. If not fluidized ... something is wrong - adjust the angle or ask the wife. You want the Zook to swallow whatever fits the grizzley and spit the rest. The Zooks are much more forgiving than wifes, usually you only risk to loose some, not all. ;-)

Run it as flat as you can and as steep as you need. As long as she's fluidized and selfcleaning she's happy and doing the job, catching the valuables out of the **** you throw at her, like wifes are doing,

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone been in the dog house lately??? .....but, yes run it to have the grizzly clear...fast and flat if you can.

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thank you all! As usual I'm probably over thinking this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since the Sniper trap is small, it's a bit easy to lose fine gold by running it too steep. I've made that mistake a couple times :(

So, keep it as flat as practical but steep enough to fluidize (trap full but loose, not packed hard)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't be holding out Kev, tell him about how to use a V-notch weir for flow calculations and the ruler and level trick for angle!!

LoL right...I know my answer was probably more confusing than helpful...sorry about that. Best thing you can do is read some stuff and then just get out there and try it!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This angle is the steepest that I would run any Bazooka, but that is me. You just have to practice with it. As you can see there is no V flow on the plate as mentioned in the instructions. The river was surging this day but that made no difference in catching the gold.

IMG_5641.JPG

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can run it steep.
You can run it underwater.
You can run it flat with good flow.
You. Can. Run. It.

**just remember to secure it of in fast deep water:)**

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As flat and fast as you can.. try to get the grizz to clear on its own. If you have to drop the front to clear better then feed slower. If you have to flick rocks every once in a while SO WHAT...you didn't have to pack in a classifier!

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the 36" sniper...it all depends on the water flow. I tried to set it up on a slow section of river a while ago that was crawling along and its next to impossible to direct enough water into the flume and achieve the right angle to make operation even possible (downside of the CA drought.) Run these at too shallow of an angle or with ill water flow and you'll end up with a bunch of sh** on your plate that doesn't clear off as it should.

I have found it is best to run my sniper fairly steep and haven't really suffered any gold loss, I have even gone back and panned what I could of my tailings - IMHO it's better to run it a little on the steep side and suffer, at worst, mild gold loss than to be fighting with a clogging trap or slow moving gravels (It's a numbers game to me, I'd rather lose a little retention to speed up the volume of production.)

GFBurke

Sep 1, 2015
South Idaho
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often are you guys doing a clean out? ish? As in, "after a few buckets" or "just run all dam day!" ?

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How often are you guys doing a clean out? ish? As in, "after a few buckets" or "just run all dam day!" ?

I clean and pan to con's every hour, save for later on the sniper. Varies with black sand/geology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread