Any wooden sluice ideas?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Oh man I've been thinking about this too, although my idea is to build a wooden sluice a BIG as legal. I'd use a simple sheet metal slickplate abutting a short section of homemade punchplate down into ribbed mat, then riffles. The flow could be thick and heavy and you could shovel as fast as you can into it.
My though was more of a semi permanent gig. Just plywood, and a few 2x6s. You could set up a few and just bring your mats and go crazy!

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh man I've been thinking about this too, although my idea is to build a wooden sluice a BIG as legal. I'd use a simple sheet metal slickplate abutting a short section of homemade punchplate down into ribbed mat, then riffles. The flow could be thick and heavy and you could shovel as fast as you can into it.
My though was more of a semi permanent gig. Just plywood, and a few 2x6s. You could set up a few and just bring your mats and go crazy!

that is what i want to do i have a spot in the woods where i could do it

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would suggest not building a wooden sluice box. They are heavy and cumbersome. They soak up water to the point that if you hike very far with them you will end up leaving them on the way out because of the weight gain.
Old wooden sluice boxes were about 12% efficient.
If you want one for a show piece of antiquity well that's one thing.
They are not suitable for actual field use (In my humble experience).
"stupid heavy wooden sluice box", mumble , mumble.... :BangHead:

I suggest getting a piece of 6 inch corrugated , non perforated, drain pipe slice it down one side, fold it open in half. Build a frame of the heaviest aluminum scrap you care to, because it will still be lighter than the wooden box. Affix the sliced and folded pipe to the aluminum rails and valla' masterful sluice box which feeds easy and holds the fine gold. Even for a total noob. Like I was.

i have made one like that before but i didnt know if it would work so i abandoned it i will get it out and try it again thanks!

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote drop riffle sluice too, like Astrobouncers vids. What happened to Astro B..is he still on here?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An oldie but a goody.:icon_thumright: I forgot that he cleaned out from the side. That would solve a major problem of other ideas presented in previous posts.

His skills remind me of a series on PBS called The Woodwrights Shop. It may still be on and is well worth watching.

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish they had dialogue writers like that on Gold Rush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread