Whats the best sluice to buy?

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also what are some prices for a water pump electric?

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Around $100, my answer would be an Angus Mackirk sluice. They work really well in low water situations are extremely light and are super easy to clean out. There are many other lightweight drop riffle type sluices out there but the only one I have experience with is the AM. Love mine when the water is low. The grey color and dimples at the top are great for sampling an area as well.

emptyhole

Feb 28, 2014
n. calif.
Detector(s) used
all the prospecting toys
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a le trap sluice when there is not enough flow for my bazooka gold trap.I have heard good things about angus mackirk but I have been so happy with my le trap that I can't see any reason to change.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent suggestion emptyhole. The LeTrap sluices are really good as well. As far as electric pumps go...12v I am assuming??? Check on Amazon they have some killer deals on 12v bilge pumps. $50 for 3700gph/60gpm pumps from Seaflo. The smaller pumps are even less than that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I strongly agree with Chris, the AM sluices are compact, durable, easy to set up and work great!

As for little electric pumps, you can also find good deals at Harbor Freight (look online for coupons (20% off!) before you go).

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
And here's another vote on the Le' Trap. Can be had for just under $100 if you shop around a bit and they work great.

When it comes to 12 volt pumps, the best deals I've found can be had on WalMarts web site. For a Le' Trap I'd suggest at least a 2800 gph Johnson or Rule bilge pump. Both are very reliable and will move a lot of water. They have a good head height (lifting the water without loss of flow) Add some 1 1/8 hose a couple of PVC fittings and you're ready to go. I'd also suggest getting as high a capacity pump as you can afford. You can always throttle it back with a simple valve to get the flow you need for your setup. With a smaller pump you can't increase the flow.

Since I'm in the desert, if I want to sluice (which I prefer) I have to use a recirculating system. I've spent the last few years trying many different pumps and sluice combinations and I currently am using a Le' Trap with a homemade header box. Even though I use two pumps, one for the box and one for the spray bars, I feel I could use a little more flow. I'll be upgrading the main box to a Johnson 4000 gph and moving the current 1500 gph up to the spray bars. This will allow me to run the sluice at a much flatter angle and still have it clear the lighter materials.

1106151416c.jpg

Here's a shot of my current setup. It's light, portable and works great. The stand breaks down for transport and is still very stable.
EDIT: From start to finish, clean out take me 2-1/2 minutes from start to being back to ready to run more materials through it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok thanks I will try to get a le'trap and I have lots of harbor freights near me so I can get a pump.i may try to make a recirc system so I don't have a mud pit in my yard.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a bunch of us on T-Net that run recirc systems. Feel free to ask for design ideas as we've gone through most of them. Some great and others not so great. ;)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like anything less than 40gpm through a ten inch box. That's actual measured flow not pump rating. With bilge pumps head pressure drops out put dramatically. GoldenIrishman curious have you measured your output at the tail. I'm curious as to what your actually getting.
I have recently been working on a 4"×36 inch concentrator sample run sluice.To run large batches of cons and samples that I bring home from dry areas. I'm using an old above ground pool pump. I don't know the flow rating. I'm not home right now visiting family for the holidays. I'll post some pics when I get home.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok thanks I will try to get a le'trap and I have lots of harbor freights near me so I can get a pump.i may try to make a recirc system so I don't have a mud pit in my yard.

Have you thought about getting a Bazooka Gold Trap? The Mini is only $100. I'm looking forward to running more material from not having to classify. I just ordered the 30" Sniper BGT for about $160.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions