Question for Kevin in Colorado

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Kevin, I'm prospecting some high mountain streams while they have water this winter with my bgt super mini and want to give some of them a good look using your dam method. Was wondering if you use a standard #2 shovel or some other digging implement? This is pretty steep country and some streams will need the runoff to subside to keep the material in my #2. Maybe I should weld some uprights on the sides and back of a #2. Thanks for any input.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Obviously not KevininCO, but Fiskars makes an all steel, welded shovel with "uprights" covering the entire back of the shovel head and is scooped more so than a normal #2. $32 at Ace Hardware. Picked one up for myself over Christmas. Might give it a look.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, and thanks Chris...I don't use a fancy shovel. instead I just toss a few rocks upstream of where I am digging to make the water flow a bit more gentle. Also once my dam starts to work, it creates a pool of calm water just upstream of the dam. I am usually digging right in that pool since naturally I built the dam right below where I wanted to dig! I hope that helps :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread