Results with your Bazooka Mini? (Not super mini)

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind sharing your results using the Bazooka Gold Trap Mini. Not the "super mini", which is the next size up. I'm talking the smallest one in their fleet! The one in in the photo I provided. I just bought their smallest one and I am stoked to get out there and use it! I used it only once so far, and found a small spec of gold (in Pennsylvania!), but that says a TON to me about this piece of equipment.

I know it won't run as much material for obvious reasons, but has it still found you gold?! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458180379.860142.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brett, the fluid bed trap on the Mini and the Supermini is the same. E only difference is the length/size of the skid plate/scoop. To me this means you will get the same results and my Supermini results have been quite good.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett, the fluid bed trap on the Mini and the Supermini is the same. E only difference is the length/size of the skid plate/scoop. To me this means you will get the same results and my Supermini results have been quite good.

That's great to know, Kevin! I keep looking at this awesome thing and all I want to do is get it in a creek as soon as possible lol. I love how portable it is, and how light it is. And knowing it will produce great results is just making me get that "fever" everyone talks about. It's just about being out there. I can't wait.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldenmojo will have to post a pic of what a supermini can do

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Mini will work fine at the Arapahoe Bar site I told you about...bring it!!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mini will work fine at the Arapahoe Bar site I told you about...bring it!!

If I can convince my brother to go, I will absolutely be going. Luckily I have the mini so I can travel with it!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you all think the mini is actually perfect for all around sluicing? No matter what the water conditions? Or will I, no doubt, want to upgrade eventually? Remember... I live in PA. Home to mounds of gold in the creeks and rivers lol.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get the fever bad and go bigger and keep the small one for finding the Gold and the larger one to get more of it . LOL

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get the fever bad and go bigger and keep the small one for finding the Gold and the larger one to get more of it . LOL
lol, I'm sure of it. One part of me says, "just use the mini no matter where you go! It's Pennsylvania! Not worth spending too much on prospecting equipment for such little amounts of gold that are found". Then, another part of me says to get the 30" Bazooka Prospector because it handles more dirt, meaning more of a chance to find gold. I've only ever gone out prospecting ONCE lol, but I do enjoy having an army of equipment for all occasions.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Brett, I'd say rock the Mini until you feel like it's holding you back.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brett, I'd say rock the Mini until you feel like it's holding you back.

I'm really thinking about it because it's still big enough in my opinion, and where I went the one time, I hardly scooped up a lot of dirt at once anyways. So I think it would be perfect. Plus, the convenient size of the thing is great! I think I'll use it as my main and maybe add it to my birthday wish list!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really thinking about it because it's still big enough in my opinion, and where I went the one time, I hardly scooped up a lot of dirt at once anyways. So I think it would be perfect. Plus, the convenient size of the thing is great! I think I'll use it as my main and maybe add it to my birthday wish list!

The 30" prospector likes more flow than the mini and it will take more paydirt at a faster pace. Would make a great addition to your arsenal :icon_thumleft:
That's the size I use in Indiana and our gold is similar to yours.

gold1.jpg

Go for the gold!
GG~

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I noticed today while I worked the mini on my local creek is that the platform, all the way up to the grizzly, doesn't automatically move the material off. I had to keep manually removing material with my hand.

I tried running it flat and also a little bit steep. Both ways still seemed to not move the material.

I made sure that the water was flowing over the grizzly too. I'm certain it's something I'm doing wrong.

I believe I had plenty of flow, too. I do have the grate going across the grizzly to prevent larger stones entering the trap (picture shows what I mean). Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from today to show its position I had it in.

Should I keep that grate on there, or remove it? I've seen many people with it installed on theirs, even under the mini video on bazookas website.

Other than that, this thing is SO EASY to operate and I'm loving it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458591665.760890.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably what you are experiencing is marginal flow speed so try setting it up in faster water. With ideal flow the deck should at least quickly clear all of the smaller material with some of the larger rocks usually being the last to reach the grizzly. Hand clearing of the grizzly is not uncommon and has often been mentioned on this forum. The trap is designed to handle anything that will pass through the grizzly so (IMHO) get rid of the screen and actually, a screen will contribute to material hanging up there especially under marginal flow conditions.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get rid of the grating.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brett, as you know I'm personally familiar with that specific Bazooka :) and that grate was added by a previous owner, but I considered removing it.
Given the feedback from those on this forum (Arizau and my buddy KevinInColorado) I'd say you should remove it. Worst case you could put it back on, but removing it will bring it back to "true Bazooka" form.
And as a side note: all the practice you're getting there in PA will make you very very prepared for when you visit Kevin out in CO or when you go with me up to New England.

- Brian

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably what you are experiencing is marginal flow speed so try setting it up in faster water. With ideal flow the deck should at least quickly clear all of the smaller material with some of the larger rocks usually being the last to reach the grizzly. Hand clearing of the grizzly is not uncommon and has often been mentioned on this forum. The trap is designed to handle anything that will pass through the grizzly so (IMHO) get rid of the screen and actually, a screen will contribute to material hanging up there especially under marginal flow conditions.

That makes sense. It was in good flowing water, but it wasn't anything crazy. And the more I think about it, it probably wouldn't be enough to move the material. Thanks for your advice.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brett, as you know I'm personally familiar with that specific Bazooka :) and that grate was added by a previous owner, but I considered removing it.
Given the feedback from those on this forum (Arizau and my buddy KevinInColorado) I'd say you should remove it. Worst case you could put it back on, but removing it will bring it back to "true Bazooka" form.
And as a side note: all the practice you're getting there in PA will make you very very prepared for when you visit Kevin out in CO or when you go with me up to New England.

- Brian

Hey Brian! I've been loving this Mini. I'm going to remove the grate for sure. Although I'm pretty sure I wasn't in the best of flowing waters.

I am looking forward to heading back out there with you! I've been practicing a lot. And it'll be a pleasure to meet up with Kevin one day, as well.

Let me know whenever you are ready!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread