OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way I have looked and looked for solutions and the fella from Prospector's Choice who I ordered the sluice from said I could just hook the pump to a battery charger, I started looking at battery chargers and noticed some people saying doing this wasn't a great idea and they all had different reasons why. Bottom line is I am just using this in the basement so really would like to be able to just plug something into the wall rather than charging a battery etc.. I believe the sluice I ordered comes with a 500 gph pump.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need an AC to DC power converter, about 20 bucks at Wal Mart or try a Radio Shack store, maybe if you have one in your area.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a AC/DC power converter. I picked mine up at r.v. store, but I'm sure you can find them at a few different places.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled them up online and it looks like they all hook up to a cigarette lighter socket??

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a used above ground pool pump. The kind they sell at walmart that come with the 4ft deep pools they are all selling right now. Sometimes people give them away on Craigslist. They usually have built in gfi breakers as well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the filter cartridge they move more then enough water for small to medium recircs

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Along the lines of what GW said. Cheapo 115 Volt pump(s) and save the wear and tear on your field equipment. Far more efficient and less monkey biz. Pool, booster, sump, water well pumps. Plenty of things to choose from. Use a pressure tank with regulator and they won't even have to run all the time.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.k. I'll maybe look into different pumps. So if I am looking at the right ones they are rated in watts?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any 12 volt car battery charger will work as long as it has a manual setting and puts out at least 5 amps. If the pump ever wears out, the 500gph pumps are cheap, less than $10.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbytown has AC/DC converters as well if you have one of those close, make sure if using one of these to use one that puts out a little more amps than you'll be using and you might get one with higher amps in case you decide that pump isn't big enough and end up getting a bigger pump for more flow.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fountain pump works great too. I use a 180 gph on my 3" cleanup sluice, miller table, and mini fluid bed. Around $25 at a local garden shop. Bigger ones cost a bit more.

Would like to find a 12V version of that pump.

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine off a jump pack or the trailer plug on the back of my truck :)

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fountain pump works great too. I use a 180 gph on my 3" cleanup sluice, miller table, and mini fluid bed. Around $25 at a local garden shop. Bigger ones cost a bit more.

Would like to find a 12V version of that pump.

I run my clean-up sluice with a fountain pump also. Got it from Harbor Freight. I think it's around 300 gph. It has a ball valve on it to control the flow.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
You may also check under 12 volt power supplies. Just be sure to select one that will give the current that you may require.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled them up online and it looks like they all hook up to a cigarette lighter socket??
This is the one I use from Walmart $20
k2-_8d9b1ff9-137f-483a-b799-d8a10f2efe51.v1.jpg
Just cut the socket off and put alligator clips on the two wires to clip onto your pump wires.
or else just twist the wires to your pump wires and use tape or wire nuts.

If you are not comfortable with cutting the socket off you can always get an adapter plug to connect to your pump wires.

index.jpg
Cost around $5 or less.

GG~

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't overdraw on an automotive circuit! If the fuse doesn't blow like it's supposed to it will do very nasty things to your cars wiring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread