Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...A big rubber gas pedal?? :laughing9:

Cut your aluminum to the "total" size of your finished project; for example, if your finished sluice is to be 24" wide with 6" tall sides, make the TOTAL width of the flat aluminum 36". Then cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood that are 4" longer than your sluice - the plywood should extend 2" beyond each end. Drill holes through the 2" extensions about every 4"-6" and run 1/4"-20 hex bolts with nuts to clamp everything together, taking care to position the plywood exactly where you want it. Then take a Ball Peen hammer and hammer over the sides, taking care not to beat the aluminum so badly that you damage it. ...Maybe a large rubber mallet would work.

If you want to be doubly sure your metal won't move within the plywood form-clamp, sandwich a layer of gripper shelf liner on each side of the aluminum between the aluminum and plywood.

I hope this makes sense - have spent most of the day in bed with everything spinning :tard: , so let me know if it's actually turning out as jibberish! Hmm...spell cheak says jibberish should be gibberish, but I was raised using a "J", so there!! :evil6:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can use ABS and all you need is a heat gun, a crude wooden form and a few clamps. Easy to use, lightweight and durable.

DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0024.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0022.JPG

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike(swWash),
Where did you get that ABS?
I see an ABS miller table in my future....

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for local plastic suppliers in your area online. Mine runs about $80. for a 1/4" 4'x8' sheet. You can easily use it for flairs, leg brackets, crash boxes....your imagination and creativity are the only limit. It can be bolted, threaded or even glued/welded with common abs pipe cement. If you worry about wear in crash boxes and such, it can be lined with rubber sheet or uhmw to protect the plastic. You could even make a vacuform set up if you so desire. There's lot's of videos on youtube and diy websites like this one: Homemade Tools Categories
It's the same stuff BGT's are made of.
Have fun, it's addictive and fun to use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool I doo have a metal brake, do ya think it would bend it ok

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heat it 1st and it should work fine. Once you see it starting do bend on it's own, it's ready. Trial and error are the best experience for getting the right softness.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Lightly oil the brake prior to heating plastic sheet. That way you avoid any possibility of the plastic getting too hot and sticking to the metal.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for local plastic suppliers in your area online. Mine runs about $80. for a 1/4" 4'x8' sheet. You can easily use it for flairs, leg brackets, crash boxes....your imagination and creativity are the only limit. It can be bolted, threaded or even glued/welded with common abs pipe cement. If you worry about wear in crash boxes and such, it can be lined with rubber sheet or uhmw to protect the plastic. You could even make a vacuform set up if you so desire. There's lot's of videos on youtube and diy websites like this one: Homemade Tools Categories
It's the same stuff BGT's are made of.
Have fun, it's addictive and fun to use.

I found the supplier for abs sheet (and all other types too) in Tucson is a plastics fabrication facility. A couple of years ago I had them cut and bend my abs sluice (I used Goldhog mats) but now I am thinking of building another one myself. Here comes the question.....I would rather cut and glue/cement rather than bend so what do you use to cut the abs and if it is a table or skilsaw then what type of blade do you use? I assume a router will work too.

Thanks

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta be careful with both routers and power saws (ANY kind) when cutting plastic; ABS especially. A jigsaw or slow-cutting bandsaw would be best using a medium blade. Coarse blade is ok, but rougher cut. EDIT: Routers are notorious for melting plastic at even low speeds, especially ABS! If possible, avoid putting plastic to ANY router bit.

There are special blades you can get for handheld circular and table saws that are just for cutting plastic, but you need to run a couple of practice cuts to get used to the proper feed rate. Too slow and the plastic will melt - too fast and the plastic may chip/bind and really wreck things!

Probably the best approach when using plastic (ABS, acrylic, etc) is to use the plywood clamp setup (without the gripper matting) and heat the plastic with a torch or heat gun. Even lowering the plastic over and into the flames of an open fire will heat the plastic enough to make it easy to bend.

Would be best to keep a sluice in one piece. Not only is it stronger as one piece, but much less likely to lose any fine gold or have water leaks.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lightly oil the brake prior to heating plastic sheet. That way you avoid any possibility of the plastic getting too hot and sticking to the metal.

If the abs melts to the point it will stick. it is too hot. Do not put oil on prospecting gear.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If the abs melts to the point it will stick. it is too hot. Do not put oil on prospecting gear.

Correct and correct. However, you can clean the oil off once the part is heated and molded into shape. But you can't clean the melted plastic off of a brake very easily. Besides, there are manufacturing oils on sheet plastic anyway, not to mention many other things we buy. Some plastics are made from byproducts of the oil refining process, and some even have oil as an ingredient of the plastic.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is one I made using some galvanized industrial duct that was cut up. It just holds wiring to the roof or wall to keep it from being seen. Works like a charm, threw some deep v matting on it and used silicone.

Attachments

• 1460741076183.jpg
    1460741076183.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 147

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the supplier for abs sheet (and all other types too) in Tucson is a plastics fabrication facility. A couple of years ago I had them cut and bend my abs sluice (I used Goldhog mats) but now I am thinking of building another one myself. Here comes the question.....I would rather cut and glue/cement rather than bend so what do you use to cut the abs and if it is a table or skilsaw then what type of blade do you use? I assume a router will work too.

Thanks
You can get by with a plywood blade, but they also make blades for plastic. You're looking for shallow hook (tooth angle) and many teeth to prevent taking too much with a single tooth.

024721118707lg.jpg
saw.jpg
5113b62a-ee0e-4629-b061-3e31ead1c3a1_400.jpg
81bJQIQWQjL._SY355_.jpg

In a pinch, simply turn the blade around, it will shave right through it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"In a pinch, simply turn the blade around, it will shave right through it."

This works for thin plastics; less than 1/8" thick. Too risky to try on anything thicker.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmmmm, I've been using a regular crosscut blade in a skillsaw set to 1/4" depth with no problem. Same as on my chop saw. Just don't push real fast starting the cut.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not saying it can't be done. I once cut over an inch into a steel trailer while cutting a piece of plywood and never realized it. But mistakes can happen, and a spinning blade that generates heat can melt plastic. I'm not trying to suggest what is and isn't possible, but rather to guide someone through the process who I presume to be inexperienced with cutting plastic. You can cut it with multiple passes using a utility knife with a new blade - doesn't mean that's the best way to go for your first time.

Adios. :wave:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
It is important to have the blade height properly adjusted so as not to be cutting at to steep an angle which will cause chipping.

The points of the blade should just clear the surface of the material you are cutting....

This will make a much cleaner cut and minimize the danger of taking a finger off when using a table saw...

This also reduces over cutting when using a skill saw as well.... You won't cut into the supporting surfaces...ie saw horses, mom's counter tops, or in kcm's case his steel trailer...:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread