LeTrap with Header

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really please with how well the LeTrap works. That larger 4th riffle works really well to stop gold that has made it past the first 3 riffles.

This is what it looked like when the water was shut off.

You do have to adjust the amount of water flow so that the material stays active, but still leaves some heavies to bury the finer gold.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your north arrow. Never seen one like that.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, had to think about what you were referring to. It doesn't show up on my screen as I have all avatars turned off - gotta save on data allotment!

It's from a book - KLONDIKE '98 - by Ethel Anderson Becker. The image is inside the front and back covers. It's simple, I like it, and I can't find out how to contact the current owners of the copywrite on this book. Therefore, I've been afraid to try and share it. The book is chock full of amazing photos from the Alaska gold rush! It's truly a piece of mining history, and NEEDS to be kept alive!

My wife saw this copy and got it for me for a couple dollars. Last I looked, a few copies were available online, but VERY few, and mostly for more $'s.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much water gpm or gph are you running through it? would like to try a Le Trapp some one of these days

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really answer that one...I have an 1 1/2" fire hose feeding it and I just adjust the valve until the material runs through the box the way i want it to.

I'll try and get a short video of it running next time I run some dirt (probably next week).

I use it to clean up concentrates from a sluice box.
That material has been classified before entering the sluice box.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I was curious more than anything?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The Le`Trap sluices are great! They're very forgiving on setup and will work within a wide range of flows and angles. I had used several other drop riffle designs over the years, including some home brews, and the Le`Trap is by far the best one I've used. When I first moved up to N.W. Arid-Zona, I hit some areas prospecting that were so full of black sand that within a 1/2 buckets worth of material going through my traditional riffle and carpet highbanker the carpets would clog up and I'd pretty much be "flat-boarding". Switched over to the drop riffle box I had with me and that little problem went away. So needless to say... I pretty much run the Le`Trap drop riffles all the time now in this area. They're a lot less hassle, clean up very quickly* so you can get right back to running materials and they catch the gold! Just make sure you have it mounted in a good stiff frame and you're good to go.

* timed clean-outs at 1 minute 45 seconds from start to ready to run more materials and that's with the header box being removed and replaced!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Irish, how small of gold do you normally find out there? Is it sorta coarse or very rounded and smooth?
Sounds like with that much black sand, there might be a problem with the really super fine gold not getting caught. ...But then that's just me "thinking" again - VERY dangerous thing for me to do!! :tongue3:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Irish, how small of gold do you normally find out there? Is it sorta coarse or very rounded and smooth?
Sounds like with that much black sand, there might be a problem with the really super fine gold not getting caught. ...But then that's just me "thinking" again - VERY dangerous thing for me to do!! :tongue3:

I find a lot of super fine stuff to go with the "normal" stuff out here. Even as fine as it is, it's pretty rough so I know it hasn't traveled all that far. As far as catching the tiny stuff, the Le`Trap catches and holds stuff well below the 100 mesh mark. I often check cons with my microscope and pretty much always find stuff that I can't see with the naked eye balls. (getting old is NOT for whimps!) The trick I've found with the Le`Trap setup is to keep it at a shallow angle with just enough water going through it to keep the materials moving around in the riffles. Sometimes hard to see that "dance" when the water in the re-circ needs changing though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread