Gold hog mat question

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ordered some gold hog mats over the weekend. I got a section of UR, scrubber, downdraft and bedrock.
I'm going to make a high banker over the winter. But the first project on the list is making a small 18" long sluice to hook on the end of the bazooka. I'll start with my prospector, if it works well I'll make one for the sniper as well. I'm only going to have 3 sections of Mat in sluice. Which ones should I use and what order. I was thinking scrubber - bedrock - downdraft. I'm making the sluice over next couple of days, hoping that the mat arrives this week before Sunday(as my wife gave me the go ahead to get out next Sunday).
If anyone is interested in going to American fork canyon next Sunday shoot me a P.M.
Thanks in advance for the advice, I always appreciate it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you're going to have the outflow of your bazooka flowing
through this second sluice?

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you're going to have the outflow of your bazooka flowing
through this second sluice?

Yes it will hook on the end. Mainly to catch what comes out of the trap. I will put a cover over sluice with small area of punch plate to catch anything that goes over the bgt Grizzlies.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why would you hook anything on to a bazooka? They work fine by themselves.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I think it is a great idea.....
Maybe we can put to rest the recovery % questions that keeps coming up ad-nausium......especially regarding fine gold.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

When they are running at optimal performance I think the capture rate is pretty good. Most of the gold in my area is -70 mesh and smaller with a big percentage of that in under the -100 range. Which is harder for the bgt to capture. Check out my prospecting journal there's a video where I ran my a-51 on the end of my bgt. Caught a bit of the smaller stuff.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there and done that..A whole lot of superfines blow through a BGT Most of my gold is minus 100..

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of fine gold will cling to the rocks. And ride right out of the sluice. No matter which one you use. Thats why they use spray bars and tromels. You will never catch it all. Dry the larger pieces in your cons. And the dirt that falls off is usually good for a few specks. More so if you run larger rock thought your sluice.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would base (my)/YOUR your selection of mats on what Doc says Works In Stream Sluices! That said, I agree with johnedoe and your addition could be a defining experiment if nothing else. On a sidenote...I do know that razorback and downdraft catch minus 100 gold since I use them in my stream sluice running almost 100% minus 100 mesh Oregon beach sand feed.

Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw on your post razorback, and though oh crap I forgot to order razorback. It was the main one I wanted. I think I did order it as well after looking at price on total order.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw on your post razorback, and though oh crap I forgot to order razorback. It was the main one I wanted. I think I did order it as well after looking at price on total order.

My selection was based on a recommendation, to me, by Doc related to my intended usage which is to run pure sand feed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My order was based on the low flow configuration fromdocs stream sluice set up.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
My selection was based on a recommendation, to me, by Doc related to my intended usage which is to run pure sand feed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Arizau, do you have a photo of your sluice? How did you distribute the two different mats in it?

No picture but it is 7" inside width by 5' long without a flare. The GH mat is alternating but there are two sections of each paired before changing to other type for a total of 4'. Don't remember which mat is first. For a slick plate/material addition area I used 1' of low ribbed mat (RIBS WITH THE FLOW...THIS PROMOTES LAMINAR FLOW OF WATER ETC.) glued to the top of the first GH mat. Gluing it to the top of GH mat gives a smooth introduction to the mats and since it rises about a 1/2" it also kind of acts as an indicator mat (gold either stops or slows down along the rise enough to see it). The ribbed section is clamped to the head of the sluice with office style binder clips.....easy on and off.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/808857/OIC-Binder-Clips-Small-34-Black/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread