Gold Hog stream sluice - low flow

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hunt4gold, thanks for the comparison and write-up!

I imagine that the high flow mats and more water would make the feed rate of the GH more comparable to a Prospector. It's great that it comes with mats for different conditions.

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I imagine that the high flow mats and more water would make the feed rate of the GH more comparable to a Prospector. It's great that it comes with mats for different conditions.

Ham, I believe you are right about feed rates. Doc's video of dumping a 5-gal bucket of material onto their stream sluice (aggressive mat) in 60 seconds is pretty fast. I am guessing you could do the same with the Prospector.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

faster

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldwasher, I like your sluice and hope you can rescue more of it. I'm wondering how the hopper is setup and does it have a grizzly somehow? Maybe you don't classify ? Also nice of you to give those fluid bed specs out! Probably be some guys off and running now!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldwasher, I like your sluice and hope you can rescue more of it. I'm wondering how the hopper is setup and does it have a grizzly somehow? Maybe you don't classify ? Also nice of you to give those fluid bed specs out! Probably be some guys off and running now!

That that box as a powersluice when I don't have flow. It is the end of the sluice run. I have a way to close it off and make it a hopper. It has a spray bar that isn't in the picture. I do not classify below three or four inches when I have flow. Sluice boxes are classifiers and concentrators. Several of my boxes are modular and have different set ups depending on conditions.

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.I promise you don't Have to classify. Sluices are classifiers. The only time I classify is if I can't get the material through the sluice because of flow. If you have to do this you wouldn't be able to run a prospector. probably not even a Sniper.

I know your gonna think I'm full of it. I double dog dare you to try it.

With low profile recovery. Proportional force moves material much easier. Drop riffle, gold hog or expanded over moss or carpet. Will get you excellent recovery and throughput.
run flat and fast shovel right in

No your not full of it. What you say makes sense.
I have been itching to get my Royal out lately and when I do, I'll try without the classing.

Hunt4gold, I LOVE that shot from the inside of the Trap on the Bazooka.
Watching the vids of that gold getting caught, really got my fever up. :blob8:
Great work on comparisons. thank you.

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the next question in this comparison is, which was easier/quicker to set up?, clean out?, pack in-n-out? (oohhh that sounds good for lunch time)

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess the next question in this comparison is, which was easier/quicker to set up?, clean out?, pack in-n-out? (oohhh that sounds good for lunch time)

G-bone, most of you questions were covered in the two posts above... On this small creek, both sluices were about the same on ease of setup. And since I only have to lug gear less than two minutes to this particular site - packing in was easy. That said, If I am packing the gear in more than a mile, I will likely take the Bazooka since it only weighs 6 lbs compared to 16 lbs weight of the Gold Hog. Clean out of the Bazooka can not be beat - less than a minute to pull, clean out, and reset. The GH took me about 6 minutes to pull, clean out, and replace -- but this was the first time using it, so I will likely be able to shorten this time.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G-bone, most of you questions were covered in the two posts above... On this small creek, both sluices were about the same on ease of setup. And since I only have to lug gear less than two minutes to this particular site - packing in was easy. That said, If I am packing the gear in more than a mile, I will likely take the Bazooka since it only weighs 6 lbs compared to 16 lbs weight of the Gold Hog. Clean out of the Bazooka can not be beat - less than a minute to pull, clean out, and reset. The GH took me about 6 minutes to pull, clean out, and replace -- but this was the first time using it, so I will likely be able to shorten this time.

Indeed H4G, sorry about that.
I guess I just got lost in the pics and videos and didn't bother "reading" everything (a lot like my kids do).

Cheers

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread