Grizzly question

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Along with sizing feed material another important purpose for a grizzly on a sluice (I'm assuming you are talking about a high banker setup) is to slow down the feed thus allowing the rocks to wash and to dissolve clods and clay. Your question leaves too many unknowns to give you a meaningful answer. I would shoot for building a sluice that requires little classification. Many of the Goldhog sluice mats could meet that requirement. Sluices with conventional riffles would probably be better off with nothing larger than 1" or maybe smaller. Other capture media such as strictly ribbed mat would be better off with much smaller feed....and on and on and on. Give us some idea of what you are thinking you will use and you will get all kinds of opinions and advice.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rocky99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Social Circle Georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably 6 inches wide. I have available a Hungarian riffle mat, deep v mat, miners moss, vortex mat. I plan to use expanded metal where appropriate. I plan to make it 10 to 12 feet long in a permenate location. I envision using a mix or all of the above mats. I have 2 feet of each mat 12 inches wide. Expecting fine gold if any.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest twice as big as the largest gold you expect to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread