Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I watched one of Doc's videos where he discussed this a little, but I can't remember which one. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

This diagram doesn't address trimming, but I think it's a good place to start: http://www.goldhog.com/scrubberrightflow.gif

You also may get something out of Doc's pdf file, from this link: Gold Prospecting Book - Best Settings and Tips

Two quotes from the book:

Water Depth…
There is no exact rule for the water depth. However, in most sluices water should be about twice as high as the tallest
“riffle” or peak of the mat. So if you are running the Scrubber mat, you should have about one full inch of water. If you
lower this down and speed up the velocity you’ll start to see air pockets behind the ramps / riffles. If you see these
slightly decrease the pitch or get more water volume flowing.

and...

The number one reason people lose gold with our mats? They replace their current set up with our mats and
run their equipment the same way as before. NOT very smart after reading the above right? But, it is a learning
curve and our mats require you to take your mind places it doesn’t want to go. (The fear of losing gold / slow it
down.)

I think you can be safe in removing the lip at the very top of the large ramp on the scrubber mat. (It's designed with the lip because it's a primary mat for dredge boxes, with their extreme flow -- conditions that don't exist for a passive sluice.) I'm assuming that when you say "regular flow," you are setting up the identical sequence as Doc's regular flow/high-flow mat for his stream sluice...except that an A-51 is 36" and the Gold Hog is 54". That length difference identifies some significant issues in terms of flow vs. capture. It's entirely possible that the scrubber mat wouldn't be appropriate for a shorter box that might require a slower flow with less-active mats to prevent gold tumbling out the end.

Food for thought...

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I'm setting it up as close as possible to doc's sequence. Iike you said the A-51 is shorter and I'll lose 2 capture zones, it seems like most the gold gets traped in the top few mats. I'll probably just lose the last two
(bedrock and ur) I don't have any river hog and was thinking of another scrubber mat there, but maybe I should think of a different sequence. The main river I sluice has fast flow all year. I can run my bgt prospector any time of the year very easily. I think I can probably keep the mats exchanging. I did set it up with a low flow configuration for if I'm in a stream with slower flow.
Like you said hopefully doc will chime in with some advice

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Doc misses this thread, I've found that folks on his staff are really good about answering e-mail quickly. Try giving them a shout.

Good luck! Sounds like you've got a great spot to set 'er up!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't trim the "scrubber" matts. the river hog has the riffle you can trim

razorback down draft and talon were working great in my sluice's until I lost them. For a low flow I would go scrubber and razorback maybe with alternating bedrock...but the scrubber razor back combo creates great alternating capture zones.

Don't forget in a stream sluice your water speed picks up down the sluice so a matt in the beginning will exchange differently than the same matt farther down the run.

run fast and flat as I always tell you guys and you will be impressed at how much you can run.

I have some razorback and talon I didn't put in a sluice yet and some downdraft I found after my stuff was swept away that will go back into a stream sluice.

Talon likes high flow. Though I've had great results with any flow really.

Last edited:

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my way to goldwasher territory as we speak. I will be there for about 10 days. I am bringing the Keene A52 comma and also a gold hog stream sluice with both the high flow and low-flow matting. I also brought up a 3-foot flick plate to add to the front of either flues just for laughs. We will see how everything works running side-by-side

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the goldhog website they show their mat configuration for both low and regular flow mats, and list that both the scrubber and river hog are trimmed. If anyone out there has a goldhog sluice would you mind posting a picture from the side view of the mats.
Thanks

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tonight
Greg

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AWESOME!
Thanks, that's what makes this site the best forum out there, everyone's willingness to help out other members.

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170529_174659.jpg 20170529_174653.jpg 20170529_174646.jpg 20170529_174635.jpg
First picture is bottom last picture is top

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again!
Wow that is a small amount trimmed off the top, and a little forward angle.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm just not much to trim on the scrubber in the first place i like the over hang. It would have to be really low flow to have it not create an eddy.
Saw it on the site though. And its for the regular flow. Only one piece of it. Doubt trimming it makes much of a difference.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I will leave it untrimmed, and run it a few times. I can always trim it later if I need to.
Thanks again pyrofx for the pics

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we compared my scrubber to pyro's today and it looks the same. If it is "trimmed" it cant be more than a 1/16"

Doc?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread