Just because.....

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a rookie but bigger rocks blasting down the slick plate then hitting the sampling riffles might cause things to get a little shaken up? Sure does on both my sluices (riffle & drop riffle).....???? I think I might be in Prospector70 s' camp on this one? Looking forward to some field reports on the new GGT..........

If the gold gets bumped out of the pre-riffles but gets caught in the fluid bed who cares what the rocks do... your gonna get the gold anyway... It just adds more catchment to the sluice.....
Kinda like why add deep V mat to the slick plate of a gold cube?... It is just another working surface to capture the gold.... I'll let this pic answer that question..... and by the way it did not adversely affect the next tray of the cube.... I caught what got past the deep V.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.38.02 AM 2.png

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the gold gets bumped out of the pre-riffles but gets caught in the fluid bed who cares what the rocks do... View attachment 1480944

I guess my way of thinking is that the GGT supposedly has closer to level grizzlies and the sampling mat so if you're not classifying and feeding shovel fulls, maybe, just maybe.....the bigger rocks "might" shake up the finer stuff in sample mat and over the grizzlies and fluid bed altogether possibly.....?????

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess my way of thinking is that the GGT supposedly has closer to level grizzlies and the sampling mat so if you're not classifying and feeding shovel fulls, maybe, just maybe.....the bigger rocks "might" shake up the finer stuff in sample mat and over the grizzlies and fluid bed altogether possibly.....?????

Nope. Won't happen. This thing is well tested.

It's not that the Grizzly is closer to level, it's that the initial angle of the grizzly bars as they come off the deck is flatter since the deck entry holes are drilled at an angle (the Bazooka holes were vertical requiring a bend in the Grizzly wires which tends to catch rocks).

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not about grizzly placement or angle, its about the hold up.
I've stratified for 3 feet, now I'm going to hold the gold up right next to the grizzly, giving it just inches to settle back down before the fluid bed. I am concerned about a load of material whisking gold right over the fluid bed by contact with the material going over the fluid bed and out the back. With any assay on any fluid bed sluice, I'm not trying to slam anyone's design. Why have 3 feet of slick plate? Why not have a 2 foot sluice if its bulletproof, A foot of assay matting/ripples and a foot of fluid bed?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good questions P70 and I know you have experience with fluid beds so I respect your expertise.

Dennis's testing suggests you need not worry. He added the mini-drop-riffles (after careful testing in the lab and in the field...which showed no losses) based on feedback from users of the Bazooka Goldtraps.

The reason for a longer slick plate is only slightly for stratification. Mostly it's about having a larger area to drop your shovel of dirt on and also having a wider intake scoop so you don't always have to build a dam.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its about the hold up.
I've stratified for 3 feet, now I'm going to hold the gold up right next to the grizzly, giving it just inches to settle back down before the fluid bed. I am concerned about a load of material whisking gold right over the fluid bed by contact with the material going over the fluid bed and out the back.

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to get across..... Now Kevin said sample area is a drop riffle? If so, that may be OK................?????????? Either way....I'll most likely end up with one once this guy gets his operation in order..........

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good questions P70 and I know you have experience with fluid beds so I respect your expertise.

Dennis's testing suggests you need not worry. He added the mini-drop-riffles (after careful testing in the lab and in the field...which showed no losses) based on feedback from users of the Bazooka Goldtraps.

The reason for a longer slick plate is only slightly for stratification. Mostly it's about having a larger area to drop your shovel of dirt on and also having a wider intake scoop so you don't always have to build a dam.

And I yours good sir, you are the last word when it comes to fluid beds! I'm sure what you are saying is spot on, but it still makes me nervous.
Maybe you guys just don't shovel as fast as I do, haha! <3
I'll eventually get to see one in action I'm sure.

OP: Have you hooked it up yet? Where's the pics? :)

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And I yours good sir, you are the last word when it comes to fluid beds! I'm sure what you are saying is spot on, but it still makes me nervous.
Maybe you guys just don't shovel as fast as I do, haha! <3
I'll eventually get to see one in action I'm sure.

OP: Have you hooked it up yet? Where's the pics? :)

See post # 17 above. No pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread