Ball valve for bilge pump.....help please!

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha!
It probably obvious by no if anyone has seen my posts that I am pretty clueless about many things that are involved in gold prospecting. Mechanical and electrical specifically..
Anyone was to chime in and give me a red or green light on this?
I was wondering if this converter could be used to run my bilge pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-HO...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VM64WYA6E842RRY0445Z

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it looks like with one I'll convert act to D.C., and with the other ill control the speed of the propeller.
Cool.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
O.K. Let me kinda figure out what you really have in mind for the future. 12volt is great when you don't have "on the grid" 120 power. But if you plan to use a small pump out on a claim/camping, etc. you have two options...generator or battery. If I had 120v power ALL THE TIME I'd go for a 120v pump...simple. But if you want to use a 12v pump you pretty much have to get used to the fact that no matter what contraption you use it's going to drain that n12v battery (power invertors take a drain on batteries). Bottom line is that a couple of pumps can cover a wider range of use's. It's already been stated that when you put strain on a motor it consumes energy faster. That's why I suggested to use a tee and adjust flow by a valve back into your recovery tub (everyone has their own opinion) and I like to "multi-purpose" my equipment so I might use the same 1 1/2inch ball valve for a fine gold recovery system or a small sluice box/power sluice system. I'm probably getting above and beyond "what to use for my small gold recovery unit". But it's always been my theory that I want horsepower even if I don't need it!!!
It's kinda cool to crank up both them 6.5 hondas on my dredge and watch those rocks go for a ride....but most of the time I cut them down a touch. Go big and cut it down when needed.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just read about that "motor controller". Does your motor "like 3 amps"? Does your pump work in reverse?

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be using my cleanup sluice mostly at home but like the option of mobility.
Im now looking to use an ac/dc converter most of the time with no battery involved.
The PWM proposed looks like a cool option, I just gotta figure out if I can put that between my converter and my pump.
If not I'll probably stay with my valve or add a tee like you suggested.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh man... Where was this when I was building my trommel lol. Im using 12v to run my pumps as well, and the T option sounds like a nice inexpensive solution. On a side note... That PWM controller could allow you to keep a larger size pump and still turn it down, thus saving juice on your battery instead of running it full bore the entire time. Options :x

Also, look around, theres a couple that have more than 5amps
Heres a 10amp for about 15bucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/uniquegood...tor-Speed-Controller-Adjustable-/142562275002

and a 15amper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RioRand-Up...961496&hash=item44103bd5c4:g:ipAAAOSwICpaCn6w

Even a chinese 30amper for under 15!!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-60V-1...313882?hash=item3d517037da:g:94gAAOSwr6FaIrcT

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah Sunshine I saw those other PWM's. I'll get my whole contraption working and get vid and post it soon.
Thanks for all the help guys. All the info y'all freely give is really appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread