Grizzly gold trap explorer

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seattle, you are getting a lot of good feedback here from several knowledgeable people. Since we emailed each other I will focus this message on the setup question. Its tough to evaluate you setup with only a top-down view, but it looks like you have low to medium flow into the sluice. A side view would help us see the setup angle of the sluice, which typically would be between 5-8 degrees angle. It looks like the 'V' in the water flowing down the transport deck extends about 1/2 way down the deck. A good starting point to determine water flow rate into the sluice is a 'V' that extends about 2/3 down the distance of the deck. In the setup you show, I would fill in the gaps in wing dam with a few rocks on either side of the entrance to the transport deck. That would increase flow into the sluice and my guess is that you would see the 'V' extend further down the deck. I typically keep the water level within a 1/2" or so of the top of the side walls. This depth with the increased water flow from building up the wing dam will improve the movement of unclassified or classified material down the deck and through and over the capture chamber. As Goldwasher and others mentioned, feed rate is important. One easy guide to feed rate is watching how material shoveled onto the deck clears the grizzlies. A simple guide is that if material is piling up at the grizzlies, then the feed rate is too fast. Take a look at one of our setup videos on our YouTube site (link at top of website), which will give you more information on setup and running.

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
Seattle, you are getting a lot of good feedback here from several knowledgeable people. Since we emailed each other I will focus this message on the setup question. Its tough to evaluate you setup with only a top-down view, but it looks like you have low to medium flow into the sluice. A side view would help us see the setup angle of the sluice, which typically would be between 5-8 degrees angle. It looks like the 'V' in the water flowing down the transport deck extends about 1/2 way down the deck. A good starting point to determine water flow rate into the sluice is a 'V' that extends about 2/3 down the distance of the deck. In the setup you show, I would fill in the gaps in wing dam with a few rocks on either side of the entrance to the transport deck. That would increase flow into the sluice and my guess is that you would see the 'V' extend further down the deck. I typically keep the water level within a 1/2" or so of the top of the side walls. This depth with the increased water flow from building up the wing dam will improve the movement of unclassified or classified material down the deck and through and over the capture chamber. As Goldwasher and others mentioned, feed rate is important. One easy guide to feed rate is watching how material shoveled onto the deck clears the grizzlies. A simple guide is that if material is piling up at the grizzlies, then the feed rate is too fast. Take a look at one of our setup videos on our YouTube site (link at top of website), which will give you more information on setup and running.

Thanks for the feedback Dennis and confirming my assumption regarding extending the flare using rocks to improve water flow. In terms of feed rate, I was able to push about 1 garden scoop of material per 7-10 seconds. Usually there would be a few rocks that didn't clear the grizzlies, but most of the rocks, including bigger ones would clear them. I was pretty satisfied with that, I just wasn't sure about how the trap was performing. On my next trip I'll try and get video of actually feeding material so you can see.

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the feedback Dennis and confirming my assumption regarding extending the flare using rocks to improve water flow. In terms of feed rate, I was able to push about 1 garden scoop of material per 7-10 seconds. Usually there would be a few rocks that didn't clear the grizzlies, but most of the rocks, including bigger ones would clear them. I was pretty satisfied with that, I just wasn't sure about how the trap was performing. On my next trip I'll try and get video of actually feeding material so you can see.

Check out our videos on setup of the Explorer. There are sections about setup and tuning (seeing the sluice from above and from side), flow rates, feed rates, proper way to pick up sluice for clean-out and the clean-out itself. If you were feeding only a garden scoop every 7-10 seconds, then my guess is that the flow rate into the sluice was pretty low. Redirecting more water with wing dam into the sluice and setting at an angle of 6-7 degrees and you can significantly improve/increase feed rate.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the man said "Thank you Dennis" your inputs are very helpful especially to us 'Wanna Be's" as in I Wanna Be out there!..................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread