Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought some ribbed black matting and cut it to fit my Gold Hog piglet and turned it into a cleanup sluice. I had been worried my home made miller table was losing some gold and confirmed with with some test panning of the leftover cons. It caught most of it, but some gold was slipping through. I really didn't want to add another piece of equipment to further clutter my mining camp....I mean my back yard, so I thought I'd try the ribbed matting in the piglet.
IMAG0338.jpg View attachment IMG_2503.jpg

I was a little worried that the Honda pump would flow too much water to run the Piglet this way, but it actually worked well idled all the way down. I ran the leftover miller table concentrates twice, but only caught a handful of very tiny specks on the second run through. I'm glad I learned from others and kept the leftovers to run again! This is from about 3 gallons of miller table leftovers.
View attachment IMG_2519.jpg

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miller tables are nice for final cleanup, but only what will stick to them. Anything that will catch current, or is too round, will blow off. A grease table will catch about 80% of what will blow off the miller table, and then you have to clean the gold. It really would be nice to have a machine that does score a full 100% capture, and gives clean gold at the output. But that's like having a wish in one hand, and poop in the other. But that's what drives invention.

It's hard to say enough is enough when you got the fever, and really tiny gold.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can put a ball valve on the outlet of that pump as well to throttle the flow down even more. Thats a good bit of water you have running through there for cleanup.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had it set up pretty flat, maybe 2.5 degrees. Less water flow better for that? I ran the same stuff a second time and only got a handful of very small specks so first run caught almost everything I think. Definitely will keep adjusting.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold cube is the only thing i trust. I may add a blue bowl to help final process the sub 50 mesh after the fact which sounds weird unless youve used a cube. when your dealing with sub 50 its a tidious final cleanup no matter what u use unless your smelting it or using mercury amalgamation which is probably the "smart" way. i just dont have the right property for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got the chance yesterday to try it out with some fresh concentrates from a trip to the river. Worked really well and cut our cleanup time at home from about 2 hours on the Miller table to about 30 minutes of two runs on the clean up mats and finish the tablespoon of leftovers on the Miller table! Found only a handful of small specks on the 2nd run through, but it is so quick to just run it a 2nd time to be sure. I would have added a video, but it wouldn't load.
IMAG0354.jpg IMAG0356.jpg IMAG0357.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread