Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gold Cube or Gold Hog Stream Sluice for Lake Superior prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting

Gold Cube or Gold Hog Stream Sluice for Lake Superior prospecting

Ok, my wife agreed that I could buy one of these if I make a trip to Colorado. I've been doing research about the two.
    I live 1 mile away from Lake Superior beaches and would like to do some prospecting. I hear the Gold Cube is the boss
    when it comes to capturing gold. But with Gold Hog introducing the wave mat, it has me wondering. I seen both can be
    recirculationg. But I would like some input from people that have used either one of them with beach sands. Thank you.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10420 times
    Prospecting

Iíve used the Gold Cube quite successfully on the beach. It is well proven and of course was designed just for fine beach gold and the fine gold of Colorado.

You do know Mike Pung, Gold Cube co-inventor, was inspired by Lake Superior fine gold. His co-inventor Red Wilcox is a long time Colorado prospector inspired by our fine hold here in CO.

Iíve sent you a PM with more info.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Feb 03, 2019 at 10:41 PM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2806 times
    Prospecting
    Go with what is proven to work best for the material you will process most often. Sounds like beach sand so a cube is, so far, the best option. Set up is simple as opposed to a stream sluice in many instances. On top of that, the wave mat is intended for highbanker applications and requires experimentation to find and adjust the angle to maximize the efficiency.

In any case, good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by arizau; Feb 04, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. What surprises me the most about people on here and the facebook page for finding gold in CO. Everyone is so helpful
    and willing to help people out. I look for Copper where I'm from and everyone is so hush hush about stuff. Thanks again.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. What surprises me the most about people on here and the facebook page for finding gold in CO. Everyone is so helpful
    and willing to help people out. I look for Copper where I'm from and everyone is so hush hush about stuff. Thanks again.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Has anyone used a Gold rush nugget bucket? Would that be a good thing to use in CO? Then run the concentrates through a gold cube?

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    999 times
    its because its a hobby,not many making a living,all though some forget it sometimes.
    good luck brad

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois
    E-Trac, V3i, DFX
    539 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It might interest you to go to the Gold Hog website and read Doc's article about running the wave mat in the Gold Cube. He also mentions that some people are running the Gold Cube into a secondary stream sluice that has the wave mat installed.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10420 times
    Prospecting

Quote Originally Posted by daworm View Post
    It makes me happy to hear you say that about my FB group!

I modeled the tone of it based on what Iíd experienced here. These folks are the best!

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2806 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by daworm View Post
    Has anyone used a Gold rush nugget bucket? Would that be a good thing to use in CO? Then run the concentrates through a gold cube?
    I received one as a gift from a well meaning in-law. I had no intention of buying one before and I would still not buy one now especially if I already had a cube which is capable of much higher throughput. That said, it does work* but not with beach sands that have a high concentration of heavy black sands which I suspect is what you would encounter in your home territory. I tested mine with gold bearing ocean beach sand concentrate that was almost pure black sand and had virtually no upgrade of gold concentration compared to what was rejected (the tailings).

*Great for families and others who are not serious prospectors.
    Last edited by arizau; Feb 05, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    I received one as a gift from a well meaning in-law. I had no intention of buying one before and I would still not buy one now especially if I already had a cube which is capable of much higher throughput. That said, it does work* but not with beach sands that have a high concentration of heavy black sands which I suspect is what you would encounter in your home territory. I tested mine with gold bearing ocean beach sand concentrate that was almost pure black sand and had virtually no upgrade of gold concentration compared to what was rejected (the tailings).

*Great for families and others who are not serious prospectors.
    I was thinking of when I went Colorado. That way I can make the most out of going to the streams and then running the good stuff through
    a gold cube later.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    2806 times
    Prospecting
    That will work but you can save some money by just doing some production panning for your cube feed. The overall gold results will be coequal or maybe better than with the nugget bucket.

Here is how: Fill your pan and pan it down to less than half, add more material to that pan and repeat. You can continue to do this until you are in jeopardy of flushing out black sand and maybe fine particles of gold. When you reach that point empty the pan into a collection bucket and start the process again. Feed this to the cube at the end of the day or your trip.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Feb 07, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
    johnedoe likes this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for the input.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1313 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You won't production pan beach sands up there. Just too much black! It forms a barrier, and doesn't stratify well. A panful will give about 1/4-1/3 of a pan of black once all the garnet and blond are out of the mix.

Best you can do is pan to black, and dump it in a bucket, and that takes a bit of time.

A Gold Hog Flow Pan will work with reduced loads.

Develop a market for your black sands, cause you'll have a lot of it, and it may pay better than the gold!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1999 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    LOL.......
    Hell.... I'd quit my day job if I could find a market for my black sand.
    Last edited by johnedoe; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
    GoldpannerDave likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links