looking for a site/forum for DIY sluice design/construction

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
dup post from General:

this site does not seem to cater to DIY sluice designers or builders
-> anyone have any referrals or suggestions?

I am in the midst of building a sluice with classification screens (longitudinal rods at 1/2", and punched plate for 1/8-, 3 sluices actually) and am fishing for an approximate flow rate (solids plus water, less the solids = nominal water loss) through the different types/sizes of screens.

Starting from scratch experimentally will be a pain I'm looking to reduce.
Suggestions ?

Bill

edit: what I have found re design/sizing https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/how-to-size-a-sluice-box
and commercially (today ?) http://www.goldgold.com/the-size-of-riffles.html

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
thanks, interesting search terms (an art unto itself)
am familiar with Clarkson et all, my first link above is a useful summary of that work

Bill

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know if you are looking for sluice stuff for small or wash plant size here is some for a stream sluice...
popandson fine gold sluce print link- just click cancel on the print dialog
lots of testing - charts
& the original post's from 2005 49'er mike's web archive pop&son sluice 49ermike.com

and some articles and study's here or go to main page for types of riffles and equipment they build;
the PDF on sluice building is good https://www.hecklerfabrication.com/SuggestedReading.html

new Keene video on new A52S sluice screen..

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
thanks winner, a brief outline of my thinking to date (some built, some pending) - closer to a small wash plant than a 14" portable, but will be moved by hand (disassembled)

the motivation is friendship with a number of old miners who, many years later, own the best property they worked (kgs/wk in the '80s), the intention is to make several sluices and set them in/adjacent to streams during the rainy season Apr - Sept, no shortage of water; can be stream fed or with a flume with shovelers

as mining per se is illegal with mechanized equipment, my intent is to engage only in what is called here (Costa Rica) "artisinal mining" using locally made sluices made of wood - but hi-tech nonetheless

however fed, to a hopper w/spargers and a grizzly, to a 2m long slick plate, to 1st classification screen of 5/16" parallel ss rods __m long, to second slick plate __m long, to the sluice of 1" angle (or 1 1/2" if I have the water) over some kind of outdoor carpet 2m long
- the whole to be 20" wide because that is the width of wood available (2m length to carry), amargo

the 1st classification screen will drop 5/8- (1/2- better? change screen) into the 2ed sluice to another 2m slick plate, to a ss punched plate with 1/8"holes of 10" length, to the riffles of 1"angle over carpet changing to expanded metal 2m overall - 20"wide

the 3ed sluice will have a 1m slick plate, to expanded metal riffles over carpet of 2m - 14" (?) wide

I have no difficulties with the sluices, it is sizing the length of the classification screens and the associated water lost with x% of the entrained solids. I have never operated a double or triple (level) sluice so have no feel for how much drops through a screen. Do I need to add a sparger after each screen to make up the water lost?

Bill

edit: excellent link you provided https://www.hecklerfabrication.com/SuggestedReading.html
edit2: hmmm, am now inclined cut transverse very small, square shouldered grooves in the bottom of the sluices ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread