I call it the double stack RPE

monte_rivers

Greenie
Feb 1, 2021
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love seeing people experiment with new designs! When I try something new, I don't think so much about what I'm getting, more about what I'm losing. To get a feel for what I'm losing, I cut some tiny flat flakes of copper wire and throw a measured number of them in my test dirt. Copper is half the density of gold, but twice that of most blonde and black sands. If you're keeping the little copper flakes, you're probably keeping the gold too (and maybe a bit more black sand than necessary). And the copper is super easy to see. You could do the same with tungsten wire, which is as heavy as gold. But it is harder to come by, more expensive, and often harder to see.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
OR you could just go buy some specific sized gold (fines , small picker's ETC.) to do your testing with ,and then your know for sure OR as good as your panning ability or how your equipment is running ! This (to me) is a real important thing to do because I used to drive LONGGGGGG distances to do my dredging ,and it's a PITA if your equipment isn't up to snuff after that LONGGGGG drive!

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every sluice loses gold, there’s no question about that. The question is; can I move more dirt, while still capturing most of the gold and end up with more gold at the end of the day. I move about 3-4 times more dirt this way and have had my largest cleanups with this sluice design. I say, capture what I can and try to move as much dirt as I possibly can. It works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread