Mining Claims in the Black Hills National Forest

Sdhunters

Feb 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the easiest way to find out where the claims are located in the Black Hills National Forest? I was hoping there might be a map overlay for google earth or something along those lines but haven't been able to find anything yet. I'd like to swing a metal detector without getting on someone's bad side. It would be nice if a person could carry a gps so he knows he's not on anyone's claim by accident.

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is something i have been fighting with for years in the hills. Many claim holders do not maintain their markers. In many cases it is not the claim holders fault, as folks often tear them down. Your best bet would be to contact the BLM in Montana and request claim informtion on the sections of the hills you are interested in. I normally get claim information back within a week after it is requested.

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Learn to use LR2000, part of BLM site. You will need to know some basics, such as the fact that the Montana office is the admin office for South Dakota, although Wyoming is admin in Wyoming. You will need to know the townships that you are interested in - searching the whole Black Hills by region will NOT return the information that you are looking for. I buy multiple copies of the main forest service map and use color coded permanent markers to mark placer and lode claims when I am prospecting an area. Do your research on placers, find the township, then use the legal descriptions to mark the areas. GPS lat and long will also be on some claims if you need to find monuments/claims in areas that are crowded with claims. Most patent claims in the Black Hills are now private land, these areas are easy to find on the forest service map, they will be white not green. A plat book for your county will be around $20 to $40 and will list all private landowners if intend to contact people and ask for permission. Good luck!

MW

Byf

Feb 10, 2016
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out minecache.com. Free for 7 days not sure the price but it is Google Earth with claims. Don't know the accuracy but wish someone with knowledge of area would check it out to determine its value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread