Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jan 2007
    2 times

Panning in South Dakota

I am taking my frist trip to S.D. next week. Anyone know of a good place to go panning in the black hills?

Thanks in advance.

Nebhunter

el_gral

Re: Panning in South Dakota

Hey Nebhunter! Im going over to SD next week also for 4th of july weekend, im going to the black hills & badlands area. Ive done a little bit of googling but so far just stuff on panning courses for kids, hopefully someone will give us a few hints on panning in SD.

Have fun cuz i know I will!!!

Jan 2007
    2 times

I did find through some research there is still good gold available near Rochford(sp?). The only problem I have is to determine is whether it is private or public land.

Good luck to ya

Apr 2008

how was your trip to the black hills? i know aliitle bit about rochford and the area . my inlaws own some property close too there. i farm and ranch close to the badlands. i`m new but very inerested the metal detecting ,tresure hunting ect..
    joe

Jan 2007
    2 times

My trip was great, we (my daughter and I) found some gold on rapid creek near Rochford. Unfortunately it is not enough to retire on, well, even to pay for the gas to get there. It was alot of fun. As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will do that.

Nebhunter

us
    Oct 2008
    COLD MINNESOTA
    ACE 250, MINELAB (EUREKA GOLD)

Are you going back I am a GPAA/LDMA member and in the Black Hills Club. Maybe this spring, we can meet up?

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1534 times

HOLA amigos,

Most every creek draining the Black Hills has a little gold in it, and much of the hills are National Forest land so is open to prospecting - so long as you are not claim jumping. Fortunately most mining claims are staked/marked. One good place to hit is pretty much ALL private land - Rockerville. It is an alluvial placer set on a high bench so you would have to carry water to pan, and be SURE to get permission before going digging on someone's property but this covers several square miles and at least 80% of the gold-bearing gravels have NEVER BEEN TOUCHED. The paydirt here has a lot of hard clay in it, so soaking your dirt before trying to work it through a rockerbox may help. There was at least one "pay to pan" place there until recently, which may still be in business.

They USED to allow gold-panning in Custer Park (French Creek which flows for miles through the park still produces colors) but I am not sure today, and here is the rule on metal detectors:
    "Metal detectors are only allowed on public beaches and their use must have the written approval of the park superintendent."
    You can apply for a permit here
    http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/General/appMetalDetect.htm
    contact Ron.Tietsort@state.sd.us
    <from http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/Regions/.../rulescsp.htm>
    I suspect that panning for gold (only pans, no sluices or dredges, highbankers etc) IS still allowed since they still give gold panning demonstrations.

The GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) did have at least one claim you could pan on up near Rochford, don't have their handbook handy but you can contact them.

BLACK HILLS SOUTH DAKOTA The principal gold deposits of the Black Hills1 are in pre Cam brian schists which like the ore bodies are cut by Tertiary intru sives Since the Cambrian conglomerates contain placer gold 2 some of the ores must have been deposited in pre Cambrian time The most important deposits are comprised in the Homestake belt about 3 miles long and 2,000 feet wide The principal minerals are quartz dolomite calcite pyrite arsenopyrite pyrrhotite 3 and gold with which are associated the minerals of the schist quartz ortho clase hornblende biotite garnet cummingtonite actinolite titanite and graphite 4 Pyrrhotite and arsenopyrite increase greatly with depth where pyrite decreases The ores though uniformly of low grade are very profitable Some of the ores at the surface were below the average tenor while other surface ores were two or three times as rich as the average The valuable minerals extend downward as far us exploration has gone and are fairly uniform to depths about 2,000 feet below the surface In general according to SF Emmons 5 enrichment by surface leaching has relatively small importance MOTHER LODE DISTRICT CALIFORNIA GOLD 327 <a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=QFQ...clip">Bulletin - United States Geological Survey By Geological Survey (U.S.)</a>
    <from US Geological Survey Bulletin 625, 1917>

If you do a bit of research you will find a good deal of info on the Black Hills gold deposits, good luck and good hunting I hope you find LOTS of Black Hills Gold!
    Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

Jan 2007
    2 times

I am planning another trip to S.D. this spring. I will be visiting two of the GPAA claims up there. Hopefully all you with the fever in S.D. have left some gold for the rest of us.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1534 times

Nebhunter wrote
    Hopefully all you with the fever in S.D. have left some gold for the rest of us.
    You will find gold amigo, Rapid creek alone has at least 120 MILLION cubic yards of gold-bearing gravels that have never been touched! Much is high bank gravels, so be prepared to either haul gravel or haul water, and you WILL find gold. The trick is finding a rich pocket!

I hope you will keep us posted, thank you in advance...
    Oroblanco

us
    May 2007
    Black Hills SD
    Minelab 3500 GP
    Prospecting

Rockerville gold Panning

[quote=Oroblanco ] HOLA amigos, One good place to hit is pretty much ALL private land - Rockerville. This is kind of a real guess but I will say that the whole of the Rockerville Gulch is claimed. As to claim markers we have put them up on several occasions and had them removed with in a week so we just gave up. The USFS has closed off the entrance that we were using off Gondola Road and we have since then been given a key to the gate that allows us in the back way. Any one who is interested in trying your hand at panning it will set you back 75.00 per day or 125.00 for two people a small price to pay for 2 grams per day with a little work. Drop me an e-mail or post on this forum. sdaupanner@msn.com
    Last edited by sdaupanner; Mar 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: The price of gold since then has changed

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1534 times

WELCOME TO TREASURENET sdaupanner! Thanks for the info!
    Oroblanco

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Western SD
    White's Silver Eagle
    1 times
    Prospecting

I'm not a GPAA member, and so, I have heard this thirdhand: but supposedly the best claim the GPAA has in South Dakota is the one down the Camp 5 Rd on 14A northeast of Deadwood.
    Last edited by Maitland; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: northeast, not northwest!

us
    May 2007
    Black Hills SD
    Minelab 3500 GP
    Prospecting
    [QUOTE=sdaupanner;1452601]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroblanco
    HOLA amigos, One good place to hit is pretty much ALL private land - Rockerville. This is kind of a real guess but I will say that the whole of the Rockerville Gulch is claimed. As to claim markers we have put them up on several occasions and had them removed with in a week so we just gave up. The USFS has closed off the entrance that we were using off Gondola Road and we have since then been given a key to the gate that allows us in the back way. Any one who is interested in trying your hand at panning it will set you back 25.00 per day or 45.00 for two people a small price to pay for 2 grams per day with a little work. Drop me an e-mail or post on this forum. sdaupanner@msn.com
    It seems to have been a few years since this post was put up and now a few years later I will redo the post to include new info: The price of gold seems to increase about every day when this post was put up to start with it was not like it is now 1300+ dollars to the ounce. The places that were charging 25.00 dollars no longer exist they offer to let you dig in a pile of placer material with out the real chance of finding anything. The Rockerville area is now about all claimed up like it was in 09 we still hold 125 acres down the middle of the gulch and for those that want for a fee panning is still to be had there but it will set you back 75.00 to 125.00 a day. I live in the Rochford Area and there is gold to be had but only if you are a GGPA Member seeing how they have the better ground and what they don't hold any other is claimed up by private members or private land. Now for the Flush Card I offer to anyone who wants a chance to find nice gold it is not salted it has been there since the beginning of time you can dig old tailing piles and if you want you may dig virgin dirt and gravel the choice is yours. No way you say well I will let you in on a secret and this secret can be had at the cost of 75.00 a day .... you say that is a lot? Well I say that you will only pay me for one day and in full before we depart and you will have my services for that one day there are no guarantees but I have yet to be skunked and if you feel like staying a week it is still only 75.00 you only pay for the first day and that is it .... When I was working it I was getting as much as 2 to 4 grams by my self a day and I am sure that it is still there for those that want to work for it. Bring the wife the better half the kids what ever you want they can swim in pools in the creek,one may enjoy rock climbing, or rock collecting how about looking for old miner relics they may be had at this location. So do as you want but here you have most of all that you may want plus there is a place to set up a few tents right on the edge of the creek and fall asleep with the sound of the night birds and the gurgling creek right at your feet .... sound to me like a pretty inexpensive vacation if this is the fit for the pocket and the time of your life drop me a line and lets get together. May the bottom of your pan turn golden!!!!! sdaupanner@msn.com
    Last edited by sdaupanner; Mar 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Price of Gold and Lack OF Places to Pan

us
    May 2007
    Black Hills SD
    Minelab 3500 GP
    Prospecting

The year 2914 the Date 2-3-14 Godl panning still available!!

[QUOTE=sdaupanner;3502346]
    Quote Originally Posted by sdaupanner View Post
    It seems to have been a few years since this post was put up and now a few years later I will redo the post to include new info: The price of gold seems to increase about every day when this post was put up to start with it was not like it is now 1300+ dollars to the ounce. The places that were charging 25.00 dollars no longer exist they offer to let you dig in a pile of placer material with out the real chance of finding anything. The Rockerville area is now about all claimed up like it was in 09 we still hold 125 acres down the middle of the gulch and for those that want for a fee panning is still to be had there but it will set you back 50.00 to 75.00 a day. I live in the Rochford Area and there is gold to be had but only if you are a GGPA Member seeing how they have the better ground and what they don't hold any other is claimed up by private members or private land. Now for the Flush Card I offer to anyone who wants a chance to find nice gold it is not salted it has been there since the beginning of time you can dig old tailing piles and if you want you may dig virgin dirt and gravel the choice is yours. No way you say well I will let you in on a secret and this secret can be had at the cost of 75.00 a day .... you say that is a lot? Well I say that you will only pay me for one day and in full before we depart and you will have my services for that one day there are no guarantees but I have yet to be skunked and if you feel like staying a week it is still only 75.00 you only pay for the first day and that is it .... When I was working it I was getting as much as 2 to 4 grams by my self a day and I am sure that it is still there for those that want to work for it. Bring the wife the better half the kids what ever you want they can swim in pools in the creek,one may enjoy rock climbing, or rock collecting how about looking for old miner relics they may be had at this location. So do as you want but here you have most of all that you may want plus there is a place to set up a few tents right on the edge of the creek and fall asleep with the sound of the night birds and the gurgling creek right at your feet .... sound to me like a pretty inexpensive vacation if this is the fit for the pocket and the time of your life drop me a line and lets get together. May the bottom of your pan turn golden!!!!! sdaupanner@msn.com
    I am still about panning and now is not to early to set up a day or two on your Vacation to the black hills. The area that I like to take people to is open to all seeing how it is on Public Land, now you pay for the knowledge that I can pass on to you, for the help with setting up and running the equipment whether it be the Sluice or a dry washer, I have most if not all of the equipment so that you may use mine and make up yor mind if you are going to continue in this hobby and I will say that very loudly THIS IS ONLY A HOBBY, very few ever get rich at panning but it is some thing that once you learn how to do it right it will be like riding a bike you never forget. I like to think that I know enough about the hobby to make it interesting and I have an open mind so that I will try any new ideas that are put to me so I guess I look at as a day of give and take. Bring a lunch, bring sunscreen, waders if you have them, Rapid Creek is about as cold as they come .... if you have a South Dakota Fishing Licence bring your pole there is some great fishing in the area that you will be panning in, and for those of you that want to get closer to nature there are several places to set up tents the only problem is no camp fires are allowed in the Forest but you can camp right on the bank of the creek and go to sleep with the sounds of the creek just feet from your front door. So if this is some thing that wets your whistle drop be an E-Mail sdaupanner@msn.com. The price is 75.00 dollars for a couple and if it is two couples 125.00 let me know if there is anything I can do.

These prices are still pretty firm but not set in stone 3/16/14
    Last edited by sdaupanner; Mar 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors