Rookie Question For Sebastian Inlet Treasure Hunters (More New Pics Added 12/14)

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Lets say you were walking along the Sebastian Inlet beaches with your metal detector and you found 68 coins about the size of a quarter but not round like a quarter and they were solid black. Before you cleaned them what would you think about them from the area you found them in? What years should they be? What should they look like? What would be the value of these coins? Where should they be from? Can you provide pics of uncleaned coins? Thank you very much.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Re: Rookie Question For Sebastian Inlet Treasure Hunters

armchairQB30 said:
Lets say you were walking along the Sebastian Inlet beaches with your metal detector and you found 68 coins about the size of a quarter but not round like a quarter and they were solid black.
That is an area with a high concentration of both known and unknown wrecks. The area is known for treasure finds from the Spanish plate fleet of 1715. 68 coins in one very small area could possibly represent a survivor or contemporary salvor's private hoard. Or if spread over a slightly larger area it could be close to where a "spill" from the wreck occurred. If irregularly shaped they are likely hand cut spanish cobs. If they are the size of a quarter they are either undersize (worn) eight reale or four reale denomination. Black is the color of sulfide corrosion in the silver. Many coins have gone unnoticed in the past because they looked more like rocks than like a coin.
Before you cleaned them what would you think about them from the area you found them in?
I wouldn't tell a soul and would make sure that no one else saw me looking there until I was sure I got most of them. Also, I would recommend not cleaning them until someone looks at them. You could ruin the value of a coin cleaning it under certain circumstances.
What years should they be?
Most likely between 1650 and 1733 if they are cob coins. Earlier years are possible though.
What should they look like?
That can vary. Generally light to dark black, but many turn green if the silver has a high copper content.
What would be the value of these coins?
Totally dependent on condition and what the imprint shows. Dates, legends, mint and assayer marks all add to value. If hardly anything is visible (even after being properly conserved) values could be as little as $20. A fully dated 1715 fleet coin could easily be worth over $1000 on the other hand.
Where should they be from?
Mostly from Mexico City, Potosi (modern day Bolivia), and Lima.
Can you provide pics of uncleaned coins?
No, we are dying to see yours. ;D
Thank you very much.
You are quite welcome. Now take some pictures!

Stan

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

Thank you sir, that was an awesome post. Look for something next week. :icon_thumright:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

armchairQB30 Do have any Photos ?
P.s Stan you set a high standard on your posts :thumbsup:
Sam

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
P.s Stan you set a high standard on your posts :thumbsup:
Sam

Thanks for the encouragement Sam!

Stan

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Stan:
Awesome response!!
If there were a banner for posted responses I'd nominate yours as it first appears above.
Now I, too, await what we all hope for will be an awesome display of pics from ArmchairQB30.
Don....

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

armchairQB30 said:
Lets say you were walking along the Sebastian Inlet beaches with your metal detector and you found 68 coins about the size of a quarter but not round like a quarter and they were solid black. Before you cleaned them what would you think about them from the area you found them in? What years should they be? What should they look like? What would be the value of these coins? Where should they be from? Can you provide pics of uncleaned coins? Thank you very much.
You must be describing an incident that might have occured before beach sand renourishment at Sebastian.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

Here you go!!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,980
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,885

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rookie Question For Sebastian Inlet Treasure Hunters (PICS ADDED TODAY)

It's a Mexican "wristwatch" .....

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

Trez,

What do you think about it? I was told it was clipped for paying for items. Can you identify it?

armchairQB30

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

Could you elaborate a little more, I dont know anything about cobs, is it a 8 reale?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

What does it weigh? If 27.468 grams, you have a full weight 8-reales; lesser denomination are proportionately of lesser weight.
Don....

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used

8 reale, Mexico, typical of a 1715 Fleet coin. The most common date for 1715 Fleet 8 reale silver coins was 1714. Where are you seeing the "11" Don?

No this is a relatively common shape, I think you would find it is close to full weight. I'm betting right around 27g. I'm pretty certain no clipping has occurred on this one. It was probably never even circulated. Went straight in a coin sack from the mint, then put in one of the King's treasure chests for the voyage back to Spain. Great find! I left you my number a couple of weeks ago....

Stan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

armchairQB30 said:
Could you elaborate a little more, I dont know anything about cobs, is it a 8 reale?
Are you playing with us lol. You were just strolling on the beach with your MD and found 68 coins and you know nothing about them? LOL You need to weigh it or post it with something for size comparison. We would love to hear the whole story.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used

Good call Don. If you are looking at the sketch of shields by Richards I think it is correct that it is not a 1714. It could be a 1713 though or possibly even a 1712. This after comparing and judging the similarities between each component of the design. I need to look at Craig's Florida collection book, and maybe some of my old Real Eight auction catalogs...Craig's book didn't turn up in a quick search. Needless to say that I have outgrown my filing system....

Stan

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

sheeeeeeeeeesh!
MY husband and I detected there a couple of weeks ago and found nothing but wax!
What's up with all the wax around Sebastian Inlet? Especially Avalon beach, I think.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I think Avalon Beach is in the panhandle of Florida. Possibly you meant Aquarina beach? :dontknow:

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

I would appreciate an identification of the cob from you guys, I really just dont know what I have. I have been metal detecting for two years mainly on Seminole war forts in Central Florida. Honestly, I know nothing about this cob other than what I have read about the 1715 fleet. I would really appreciate a proper ID of it. Thank you guys very much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread