Requesting help on this cob...

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
I dug this cob January 8 at a site near Richmond, VA. It was dug in a little hot spot of colonial relics- flat buttons, buckle pieces, and a cask spout that dates between 1600 and 1750. This is my first cob and I'm really pleased with it. It's slightly smaller than a 1782 reale I dug last month but significantly thicker. I know cobs with shields were produced between 1572 and 1733, but I am hoping someone can help me narrow the date range some. As far as I can tell, no part of the date has survived (assuming one was ever present on this piece). Can anyone assist, or is there too little detail present? I appreciate any help.
HH,
Jason

Attachments

• 1-8-11 Finds 006.jpg
    1-8-11 Finds 006.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 1-8-11 Finds 007.jpg
    1-8-11 Finds 007.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 349

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little detail missing? well, just enough I think, sometimes the "crown" above the shield will help you ID the reign. My guess looking at your pic, "single curved bar" leads me to believe Charles II - which reigned from about 1665 to 1700 IMO. Makes sense and falls within your sites time period. Go back and find a few more, nice find.

Post 'em when you got 'em
Trez

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thank you so much Cuzco, Don, and Trez! What a great forum, now I have a much narrower date range than I expected to be able to get. It will be weighed to figure out its denomination--likely a 1 real. I will definitely be hitting that spot again to see if any more can be recovered, and if any show up it will be posted on this forum. Thanks again!
-Jason

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Trez is on it. If you find another leave a little dirt on it to match your other artifacts. A purist like myself will appreciate it just as much....

Congrats, Stan

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
DiveWrecks said:
Trez is on it. If you find another leave a little dirt on it to match your other artifacts. A purist like myself will appreciate it just as much....

Congrats, Stan

Thanks Stan! I seriously considered leaving some dirt that was embedded in the design. I cleaned it out with the thought that it might obscure the finer details, but in retrospect it would probably have been okay.
-Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread