Jupiter Cobs

dustinjuhasz

Jun 7, 2010
Jupiter Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
That was an amazing day! When scott sent me a picture of the gold coin and 10 silver 8's, I knew right then and there it was time to leave work! Truly amazing bringing 350 year old coins up from the bottom of the sea so they can see sunlight again! Great job guys!!!

dustinjuhasz

Jun 7, 2010
Jupiter Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
This was posted on our forum the other day, kinda sum's it up

The Star of Lima or "Estrella de Lima" a Numismatic Rarity by Augi Garcia

The Lima mint had closed in 1588. For a brief period in 1659 and 1660 the mint reopened, but without Royal permission. The new viceroy, Alva de Liste, found there was a very serious and chronic problem due to the shortage of circulating currency. Potosi's annual 8 million in silver pesos went almost completely to Spain, and that mint was already overworked. There was not enough currency for local merchants to do business or pay taxes. Alva decided he needed to re-open the Lima mint first and ask permission later.

The mint re-opened in January 1659 and there was a substantial silver coinage that year. The records say about 2.1 million silver pesos. Mostly 8, but also 4 and 2 and 1, Reales were struck ( as you would expect, as it was to be circulating currency, not bullion for Spain ). There are quiet a few design varieties on the 1659 obverse.

Once King Philip IV found about it, he ordered its immediate closure. The mint remained closed until 1683 with coinage resuming in 1684.

This coin lets us see the word "LIMA" spelled out, not abbreviated as LM. Star with 8 points above LIMA. Dot between 8 and assayer's initial to the right of the pillars. Assayer V is believed to be Francisco Villegas, not Juan de Villages who struck silver coinage when the mint reopened in 1684. The total of known pieces including all varieties is about 40 coins.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,43534.1000.html

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seahunter, the suspense is killing me. Was it a transitional?

Trez

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is some real treasure. Looks like you are living the dream.

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we only found two coins, but the first one sure was nice.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 4,129

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
cuzcosquirrel said:
That will someday be the plate coin for a catalog.

Indeed it could be (that remaining encrustation of course needs to be removed carefully)... Star of Lima 4R are quite rare, and this example is quite well centered. How's the reverse?

Great find!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seahunter said:
Today we only found two coins, but the first one sure was nice.
:headbang:

Great looking coin :icon_thumleft: I see the coin has been up against something made of Iron, found a few Silver coins like that my self that have had iron leaching on, comes off easy though. Look forward to the next you find :icon_thumleft:

SS

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seahunter said:
Trez
If you go back and look on my thread, you will see that the coin you are talking about was found on Saturday the 16th. The coin pictured above was found on Friday 15th. I have not finished with that coin yet.
Seahunter

Seahunter, have you finished the conservation of the coin found on the 16th? hopefully it came out as you wanted. Picture?

Trez

Attachments

• hole3.jpg
    hole3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,689

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im from Montana, (spanish for moutains haha!) I have only seen pictures of cobs, can anyone find and keep these down there? For me, finding a silver cob would be my "Holy Grail"! Super congratz, that stuff is the kewlest stuff ever in my book!! :read2:

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Every one and there brothers and sisters going to be on the beach after this storm..

I be Chucks Steak House is going to be popular for sure.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great photos--great finds!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread