More Fake Cobs...these are meant to defraud.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these 2 are going for sale right now from 2 different sellers.
can you see the quality of these fakes? I bet they would make you think twice, but they are the same coin.
watch out, these are meant to take someone of some hard earned cash...
I can provide bid numbers if need be. Watch to see if some poor soul bids on 'em
I go after sellers like this, I only hope they pull 'em

24_1.jpg

36_1.jpg

18_1.jpg

91_1.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trez said:
these 2 are going for sale right now from 2 different sellers.
can you see the quality of these fakes? I bet they would make you think twice, but they are the same coin.
watch out, these are meant to take someone of some hard earned cash...
I can provide bid numbers if need be. Watch to see if some poor soul bids on 'em
I go after sellers like this, I only hope they pull 'em

24_1.jpg

36_1.jpg

18_1.jpg

91_1.jpg
Trez, what is it that sticks out that makes it an obvious fake? Are you saying there are 2 identical cobs for sale from 2 different people?

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what makes it so hard to pick out?
That's just it, these fakes are so good...China made I believe, I even think Sedwick has this one listed on his site.
2 different people are selling this right now...you can't have 2 of the same cobs !

buyer beware.

Trez

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I once purchase some silver dollars from ebay and every one turned out to be FAKE. I complained to EBAY and they DID NOT DO A DAMN THING and they were insured through EBAY.
Peg Leg

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PegLeg If you bought fake US coins call the US Treasury Dept.It is just as illegal to counterfeit old money as it is new! A faker in Byron Ga found this out about 8 years ago.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
dasabighole said:
PegLeg If you bought fake US coins call the US Treasury Dept.It is just as illegal to counterfeit old money as it is new! A faker in Byron Ga found this out about 8 years ago.
That is a great idea. The insurance you paid to eBay, Peg, is in case the mail is lost or damaged.

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notified the sellers today...
waiting to hear their replys...
this should be a good one......or two....lol

Trez

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Trez said:
I notified the sellers today...
waiting to hear their replys...
this should be a good one......or two....lol

Trez
Way to go Trez. Let us know their responses.

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the responses I got...

PUES SIENTO QUE SE APESADUMBRE , PERO ME GUSTARIA PEDIRLE LA EXPLICACION DE SU MONEDA COMO ES POSOBLE LAS FOTOS IGUALES , VERDADERAMENTE ME GUSTARIA UNA EXPLICACION FEACIENTE YA QUE SOLAMENTE UN EXPERTO ME LO PODRIA DEMOSTRAR , LAS FOTOS HOY POR HOY SE PUEDEN TRUCAR FACILMENTE DE TODAS FORMAS MUY AGRADECIDO POR SU INTERES PERO NADIE LE HA LLAMADO A ESTE ENTIERRO. MUCHAS GRACIAS.

E

elle

See if this sounds close:

"I feel to be saddened, but I'd like to request an explanation of his currency if it's possible that those are the same photos. I truly would like to ask for an explanation and only an expert could be asked to give one. The photos to me at the present time can be (altered or duplicated)? easily.
In any case, I thank those for their interest but nobody has accused him of this. Thank you very much."

Sorry if this translation is not perfect, but I think we all get the picture.
It's indeed worth a few laughs, Trez.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks trshores, my Spanish is poor.
Trez, post the e-Bay link so we can all write to him.

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY BEEN THANKFUL BY ITS EXPLANATION, BUT IT CAN HAVE AN ERROR OF PHOTO BECAUSE I HIM PREGUNTARIA TO YOU AS IT IS THE FALSE ONE? THE ONE DE EXPERT SU OR MINE, I HAVE THE PLENOA SECURITY OF WHICH MINE IT IS NOT FALSE AND I HAVE IT IN MY POWER, THE ONE DE EXPERT SU IS A PHOTO THAT COULD BE ALTERED, IS NOT POSSIBLE? IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU THANKED FOR AGAIN BY THE EXPLANATION, IS VERY AMIABLE YOU. A WARM GREETING

That was his second response...He doesn't think his is the fake...LOL
eBay #280028771164
eBay #290029373069
This is Sedwick's photo - http://www.sedwickcoins.com/m8r1657Po.jpg

Trez

E

elle

All the time I hear of people getting "scammed"--they buy a well-named expensive face cream on e-bay and what's in it?...a jar of 99 cent lotion that looks like the real thing.
Historical items are "extremely" more serious of a matter, so maybe someone can answer this. I have seen momentos from the Civil War era bought on e-bay and all of them had a certificate of authenticity.
When one buys a cobb, no proof comes with it?...
There should be a policy enforced that historical items sold on the net need some sort of signed proof from a legitimate source like a museum or university--that would hopefully eliminate some of these "fakes".

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Museums / Universities............
Most don't have a clue when it comes to cobs.
So, I would put that one to bed.

Trez

E

elle

So the museums on the Treasure Coast can't view cobbs and make a call?.....
or Unv. of Fl. in Gainesville?...maybe these organizations/departments can accept a "donation" from the seller
for their time to appraise.

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trshores said:
So the museums on the Treasure Coast can't view cobbs and make a call?.....
or Unv. of Fl. in Gainesville?...maybe these organizations/departments can accept a "donation" from the seller
for their time to appraise.

If they have a member of the American Numismatic Association, the American Numismatic Society, or the Florida United Numismatists that would make the call...
Then maybe...but I as a buyer would still shy from them.

Trez

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just got the time to read the responses.
Yes I notified the U.S. Treasury Department, The F.B.I. and EBAY and NEVER heard a thing back from anyone. I DO NOT buy anything from China anymore.
Peg Leg

SS Garay

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Fl
Guys, Im spanish and that little paragraph that the dude wrote is rude! He is not being polite. He is on the defensive and ends the paragraph by saying "mind your own business" and "who invited you?" Of course he did not us educated Castillian spanish. His manner of writing is probably mexican.

D

dugupfinds

In response to: "There should be a policy enforced that historical items sold on the net need some sort of signed proof from a legitimate source like a museum or university--that would hopefully eliminate some of these "fakes"."

I have been detecting for 20 years plus & I know far more than any Museum, most of their staff don't have a clue. If its not in a book they can't tell you. Experience wins everytime. Plus they haven't got the willing or capacity to administer the volumes which are currently sold.

I to am very careful about buying on ebay & have never had a fake. You have to do your research & go with your gut.

I also sell alot of stuff to fund other collections/study & ebay will fund a book I am planning. The fake market means that I have suffered greatly in getting the right prices for rare items. I do what you do & always question & correct false claims. I haven't many friends on ebay other than my customers who get cheap REAL rare items.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=SS Garay Guys, Im spanish and that little paragraph that the dude wrote is rude! He is not being polite. He is on the defensive and ends the paragraph by saying "mind your own business" and "who invited you?" Of course he did not us educated Castillian spanish. His manner of writing is probably mexican.
Literally ---

"in any event thank you, but no-one has asked you about this treasure. Thank you".

Agreed, plus he used the familiar form which is not done in a business or respone of this type of communication.

HOWEVER, Mexicans, even Puerto Ricans and Cubans, do write in formal polite Spanish in business or non personal letters, this is not an exclusive of Spain heheeh.. My wife does legal interpretations for many foreign mining companies here in Mexico.

snicker > Chagy.

Tropical Tramp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions