Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday, apparently someone thought enough of it to put it on a chain. It is silver and the weight is about 1.68 grams. What is that approximately the weight of a 1/2 reale? Im told the Fisher museum may have pressed some out.... but i cant find much on this one because of the strange markings. I see what appears to be a V in the middle and a S thru the pillar with an R to the side. Maybe just china junk..... what ya think?

Dew

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 218

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
my guess is real dew but only because...who would make a necklace out of a beat up fake other wise?? nice find!

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Dewcon, It is most likely real. Style is 1/2 reale denomination. The large lettering in the center is King Phillip's monogram. The assayer "R" is probably Rincoln, the first assayer to serve at Potosi during the late 1500's. I'll check it out better when I get home if nobody else answers. Looks like a wreck coin since it is corroded on one side, but not too much on the other.

Stan

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
That has to be pretty rare, lost treasure found twice. If it turns out to be real, that's a cool story

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im told Mel Fishers museum melted some of the ship wreck coins and re stamped them...... but id be surprised on this one. Thats an older style collar for the necklace it appears to have a small silver rod thru it then hammered in place. Yes please id like to have a little more info if you have it thanks. 1500s..... wow that would be a nice find. Looks like its a 1/2 reale from the 1600s may be part of the Atocha stuff. http://www.atocha.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3043

Dew

Last edited:

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
That "IS" sexy! Lost and found????????how many times. You should come visit down mobile Bay Area and wear it. We could go skiing, diving, dirt fishing thru thick brush. You know, the kind of adventures that make you break a chain or two!!!!! Lol, of course I would make to get it back to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?,,,squirrel see ya

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Im told Mel Fishers museum melted some of the ship wreck coins and re stamped them...... but id be surprised on this one. Thats an older style collar for the necklace it appears to have a small silver rod thru it then hammered in place. Yes please id like to have a little more info if you have it thanks. 1500s..... wow that would be a nice find. Looks like its a 1/2 reale from the 1600s may be part of the Atocha stuff. Welcome to the Atocha.com Store!

Dew

This is a somewhat frequently encountered half-real replica that the Fishers have distributed, advertised as cast from melted Atocha silver. There are few (actually none I've ever seen) half real pieces found on the Atocha wreck, so the relationship is kind of tangent, but nevertheless they make them. Specifically, it is a replica of a ca. 1575 assayer R Philip II 1/2R.

E.g., see eBay #360453669792
ebay.com/itm/ATOCHA-Sunken-Treasure-SMALL-SILVER-COIN-PENDANT-/360453669792
Atocha Sunken Treasure Small Silver Coin Pendant | eBay

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a replica 1/2 Reale is small I have found a few in my time. 2 reales are bit smaller than a standard U.S quarter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread