• gold cobs-1.jpg
    gold cobs-1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,157

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do they look like replicas with the "gold" wearing off?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well.....normally i hate it when people judge others coins just by looking at a pic but i do see rust and silver colored metal where it looks like some gold has chipped off???????

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well.....normally i hate it when people judge others coins just by looking at a pic but i do see rust and silver colored metal where it looks like some gold has chipped off???????

I've never been one to question whether someones "find" was bought or dug. I simply asked a question about the 1733 "pieces of eight" which are named "gold cobs" in the pic and appear to be exactly like the replicas sold in tourist shops. The "bought or dug" question is not allowed, but ascertaining if counterfeit is perfectly acceptable.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jason.......i didnt say anything about bought or dug and i agreed with your assesment/question concerning the coins!!!!!!
chuck.

OP
OP
Bonehead

Bonehead

Nov 16, 2012
Washington Dc from Miami
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As much as it pains me to say, I think you are right on the chipping. My father passed a few years back and I aquired a lot of his artifacts AFTER they were in my step brothers hands for a while. I think he might have pulled a switch on me. Just to be clear my father was a treasure hunter in the early 60's ala Mel Fisher area. He and his partner ( Marty Meylach) did find a lot of the 1733 fleet. Check out the book written about them. BARNES & NOBLE | Diving to a Flash of Gold by Martin Meylach, Florida Classics Library | Paperback. My stepbrother has lost contact with the family, and for good reason..No one knows what happened to a bunch of my dad's artifacts. I will post some other pictures of some stuff. I dont want people to think I'm telling lies or posting crap.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes Bone head - sounds like the step monster robbed you all.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bonehead... I viewed the other shipwreck artifacts you posted from your Dads collection... Very cool (and authentic) stuff... thanks for sharing that. I used to live in the Keys and hope to eventually move back down there.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, those gold cobs you shared are in fact replicas of some 1715 Fleet coins... I do have a set just like yours.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bonehead, thats horrible!!!!! i hope alot of the stuff you still have is real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chuck.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that sucks bonehead! I have Marty's book. In fact I have 2 copies (old hardback versions) If your dad worked with Marty, I'm sure he had some great relics from then. Is your dad in any of the pics in the book?

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
pillar stamped is what was nice to find from the 1733 wrecks,if you need help with what you list ,let me know...

floralacres

Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o.k......I signed up with this site as you asked me to...ha ha ha.....you have to realize that I am 73 years old now....A lot of memories are becoming fuzzy.........as your mama ...I am allowed a certain " Old age" privileged exemption .....I don't remember for sure..I have to do some serious thinking...weather it was you or your sister.being so pregnant....that I used to use cannon balls to help hold me down when we were working a wreck..........I remember the fallout.....as I got to shift thru the sand for items that might have missed....Marty, bless his soul...just wished me a Happy Thanksgiving.......those were great days..............I am surprised that there is a web site of folks that are even interested.....( Mary...Marty's wife...deceased) and I used to bring supplies out to Don and Marty..as they didn't want to leave the wreck location..everybody knew we were treasure hunters and they would scoop down on a location if it wasn't guarded........

OP
OP
Bonehead

Bonehead

Nov 16, 2012
Washington Dc from Miami
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
@ Keyshunter, there are alot of artifacts in my "photo gallery" that are unknown to me. If you can help me ID some of those it would be cool, thnx

aquaflow1

Greenie
Dec 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool!! I am new here, but will post a separate blog and question on here. I'll also address it to Keyshunter. Thanks and best!

:-) Karen

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thread though it is old. My cousin dove with Mel and was around when he lost his son. He was one of the original investors and did pretty good once they got on the treasure. I am going to look at your other post Bonehead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread