Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got up early this am and had my boots on the ground by 5:30am. Was back at my virgin site, sure was foggy, misty & humid. This time I came prepared with Coleman bug spray (40% DEET). That kept the bugs at bay.

Got more buttons & relics, then got a nice hit about 5" down, rang up as a 66.

Was figuring a headstamp or some lead. As I pulled it out of the hole I thought it was just some melted lead UNTIL I wiped it and saw the cross!

I'm in utter shock. Never in a million years would I have expected to dig one of these..... The rest of a hunt was a blur and I tried to stay focused but it was useless. I kept looking at this and wondering how it got here, when was it dropped & by who.

Any help on iding this is GREATLY appreciated. I'm thinking it's a 1691 1/2 reale but not sure.

I'll post more cleaned up pic's later.

Attachments

• GEDC0019.JPG
    GEDC0019.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 173
  • GEDC0020.JPG
    GEDC0020.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It at least a 1 reale. You will have to weigh it or take a picture with it next to a known size such a US quarter. You have a partial date on the periphery of 16xx. The date between the pillars is x3 so you have a date of 16x3. I could probably figure out the "x", but the current pictures aren't in alignment and at the moment I don't feel like twisting my laptop. Try and take better pictures with less flash. And it was minted in Potosi as indicated by the waves. I haven't looked at the pillar tic-tac-toe to ascertain an assayer as again the alignment and me being lazy. Hopefully, you can get some better pictures and we'll nail down the id.

Update: After reviewing the new photos, the date is fairly evident along with a hint of an assayer that corresponds with the date. The outer legend has a date 166x. With the date of 63 between the pillars, it is dated 1663. With it being minted in Potosi, the assayer at the time was Antonio de Erqueta. You will note to the left of the nested 63, a well-worn assayer mark of "E". With the scale of your cob next to the dime, it is a 1 reale.

Also, note the cross side: the lions and castles are transposed. It happens from time to time, but they are unusual to say the least especially when it comes to Antonio's work.

Nice find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. Can you confirm if this is correct?

Yep. 1663 Potosi, Bolivia colonial. What you think is the 91 is actually the 16. The 63 can be seen in the middle of the flip side just above the waves. GREAT FIND!

Attachments

• GEDC0028.JPG
    GEDC0028.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 142
  • GEDC0026.JPG
    GEDC0026.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 141
  • GEDC0021.JPG
    GEDC0021.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 136
  • GEDC0019.JPG
    GEDC0019.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 144
  • GEDC0017.JPG
    GEDC0017.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 153
  • GEDC0030.JPG
    GEDC0030.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 145
  • GEDC0031.JPG
    GEDC0031.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 129

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congratulations!
Very nice details on that one!

Treasurecoast1715

Jul 3, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! I am guessing this was in Florida?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Totally stoked! Any guess on the value?

It would really help if you could tie it to some solid Provinence.
Otherwise auction price on it could be between 60-120 dollars.
This one is being sold on Sedwick for $65 . Its a 1674
Someone in your local area who appreciates the history and understands how difficult it would be to find that there would likely pay much more.

g011303721035.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would really help if you could tie it to some solid Provinence.
Otherwise auction price on it could be between 60-120 dollars.
This one is being sold on Sedwick for $65 . Its a 1674
Someone in your local area who appreciates the history and understands how difficult it would be to find that there would likely pay much more.

View attachment 835744

Thanks GB! I'm hoping to dig something up with a name to help ID the site, but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe Capt. Kidd stopped by for a visit :laughing7: :occasion14:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely puts an interesting spin on your cellar hole.
Mabey research the area for its history well before the home.
Is there a spring nearby? A lot of very old Spanish forts were built near springs.

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely puts an interesting spin on your cellar hole. Mabey research the area for its history well before the home.
Is there a spring nearby? A lot of very old Spanish forts were built near springs.

Well there were some other cellar holes in the area that are on the 1867 maps. A stream does run thru the area but I'm far off the coast. I don't think the Spanish were in the area so I'm guessing the person might have been a sailor or perhaps just got this from someone who was.

Here are some more posts & pics of what I've found at this site.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/358864-back-copper-train.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/360152-2-coppers-lots-buttons.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/363315-3-coppers-more-goodies.html

Treasurecoast1715

Jul 3, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep up here in CT out in the woods at an old cellar hole. It's gotta be a rare find out in the woods.

Holy crap! Very cool find. Happy for you! We had a big shipwreck here in 1715 (11 ships) along the Coast of Florida, and they just found 48 gold coins just 50 yards from the beach offshore a couple weeks ago.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more a few days ago... but ask those guys to try to find a cob in a cellar hole in CT. bet it would be different!

ForumRunner_20130729_192144.png

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap! Very cool find. Happy for you! We had a big shipwreck here in 1715 (11 ships) along the Coast of Florida, and they just found 48 gold coins just 50 yards from the beach offshore a couple weeks ago.

I remember when the Atocha was found & the gold coins were in the jewelry stores for sale. I'd love to get a chance to dive on those.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you look for cob coins is there anywhere in particular

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you look for cob coins is there anywhere in particular

I see alot of your posts and questions.... are you serious or just like to type sometimes?
I mean.. really?
They are Spanish silver coins..so looking anywhere Spaniards were would be a good start.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread