OP
OP
X

Xcocoabeacher

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of your question. Are you questioning the 2x2 mylar/cardboard flip? The coin looks genuine.

Is this an old way of packing a coin. The ones on line are in some sort of plastic holder

OP
OP
X

Xcocoabeacher

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an older 2x2 as indicated by the rusting staples. 2x2's are commonly used today. They are cheap and effective.

Is there any value in selling a genuine gold escudo in this type of holder? I say this since it is probably the original holder. Yes, I am thinking like an antique collector. Don't want to disturb the old or it will lose its value.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Is there any value in selling a genuine gold escudo in this type of holder? I say this since it is probably the original holder. Yes, I am thinking like an antique collector. Don't want to disturb the old or it will lose its value.

Presuming it is genuine (I have no reason to think it is not), it should be ripped out of the 2x2 and submit it to NGC/PCGS for grading/authentication. She is a beauty and by having it authenticated and attributed, it will reassure future buyers and eliminate doubt for both parties. You will easily recoup the $30 to send it in to be graded if/when you sell.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins are sold in these flips all the time X. Look online, at any coin dealer's shop, flea markets....etc.The packaging will have no effect on the value of that coin. There are circumstances when the packaging of a coin CAN raise the value, but a flip is not one.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A coin of that value should be slabbed.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill give ya 20 bucks for it since its in that old fashioned packaging!!8-)

chuck.

OP
OP
X

Xcocoabeacher

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presuming it is genuine (I have no reason to think it is not), it should be ripped out of the 2x2 and submit it to NGC/PCGS for grading/authentication. She is a beauty and by having it authenticated and attributed, it will reassure future buyers and eliminate doubt for both parties. You will easily recoup the $30 to send it in to be graded if/when you sell.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Diver. Down I have been apprehensive about having the escudo graded
Who do you use for shipping? USPS?

OP
OP
X

Xcocoabeacher

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies! Let ya know when coin is graded

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Coin submission should be straight forward depending on which third party grading service you prefer. Many prefer PCGS. I've never mailed a coin for submission as I'm fortunate to live near one of the largest coin shows in the nation (The FUN show). Representatives are available at major coin shows where coins can be submitted directly and there is usually a show discount.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I am actually licensed to remove staples from these old school packaging. Send it to me and I will return the coin. Yarrrrr. Thats a beautiful coin. Freakin flip out if I saw that in the scoop. Let us know what it grades.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread