Philip IV 1621-1665 Spanish Cob - opinions please

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this cob on one of my best producing colonial farm fields. I posted the photos on my site yesterday as well as the "Today's Find" section here and I didn't realize it was a cob until people starting replying to my post. It looks like the cob is a cut Philip IV (1621-1665). TNET member Mackaydon was kind enough to give me the weight of an 8 reales @ 27.460 grams.

Based on that information:

8 Reales = 27.460
4 Reales = 13.73
2 Reales = 6.865
1 Reales = 3.43

Update: I've gotten a lot of feedback from very helpful people and it looks like the cob I dug is a Philip IV 1621-1665 Spanish 1 Real Cob. It's believed the cuts are from the original creation of the cob and not from a cut occurring later.

I would really appreciate any input/opinions/confirmation for the experts here. Also, if anyone can find a photo where the shield sections see to match mine, I would be grateful for the link. Most of the ones I see the shield markings are a little different.

Thanks!

1.jpg
2.jpg
march3b.jpg
march3c.jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the ones I've found, seen or purchased, or all of the above, it is a 1 reale. There were never symmetrical in shape. They would weigh out the correct amount of metal and whack it with the design. Sometimes if overweight they would shave the excess off, but it would be a tiny amount. No two are exactly alike and I really like your coin. Congrats.

OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
From the ones I've found, seen or purchased, or all of the above, it is a 1 reale. There were never symmetrical in shape. They would weigh out the correct amount of metal and whack it with the design. Sometimes if overweight they would shave the excess off, but it would be a tiny amount. No two are exactly alike and I really like your coin. Congrats.

That is really interesting to hear how they were made. I love this hobby, I've never had any background on cobs and then I dig one and now the learning process starts. I really appreciate the info!

Do you Agree with the Philip IV 1621-1665 dating? Is there any way to narrow down the range?

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like a cut cob. Hard to tell from the weight.

OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some great info provided to me by New World Treasures. It looks like I have a pretty solid ID.

SPAIN - 1665-1700 Charles II Hammered 1 Real Cob. (Mexico Mint)

It could be from the time period of Philip IV (1621-1665), but the more vertical lines of old burgundy (lower left side of the shield) makes me believe the coin is that of Charles II (1665-1700). Coins of Philip IV have distinctly diagonal lines during the period that coincide with coins other shield details. Most coin's from the time period of Charles II are quite rare, particularly during the 1680's and 1690's, so your coin was likely struck in the early years of Charles II. I believe it is a 1 real that was struck with both sides way off center. The shield and cross size looks to be correct for a 1 real coin and too small for a 2 reales coin. The coin does not appear to be cut after it was made.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread