1600s spanish silver help id

Juiceboxer

Oct 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone i found this coin the other day i believe to be king charles II possible 1/2 reale. im not an expert its clearly hammered and extremely small about pull tab size just looking information on when and where it was made and if it is a 1/2 reale. I can't find any other coin that looks like it. Thanks for any info! The cross has lions and castles in opposite corners and the back has CAS. the house was built mid 1600s if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_2491.PNG
    IMG_2491.PNG
    478.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2490.PNG
    IMG_2490.PNG
    444.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Juiceboxer

Oct 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have it correct. A King Charles II half reale. not enough visible to ascertain the mint location other than eliminating Mexico City.
awesome thanks! is it rare or have some value

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s very nice though. Not every day you come across a king Charles 1/2 reale!

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably late 1600's, from Lima. Potosi crosses are much more irregular.
Its Potosi mint. You can see in the first picture the line of dots are not round. They are jellybeans. That's Potosi. A great video on YouTube about identifying Charles II half reales by CaptainMyCaptain. The video is called Differences in 1/2 Real Coins.....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's a really cool find that's a great reale to display. Well done

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Potosi mint. You can see in the first picture the line of dots are not round. They are jellybeans. That's Potosi. A great video on YouTube about identifying Charles II half reales by CaptainMyCaptain. The video is called Differences in 1/2 Real Coins.....

? ? ?

Kravotinec

Greenie
Jan 30, 2017
Saint Petersburg
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone i found this coin the other day i believe to be king charles II possible 1/2 reale. im not an expert its clearly hammered and extremely small about pull tab size just looking information on when and where it was made and if it is a 1/2 reale. I can't find any other coin that looks like it. Thanks for any info! The cross has lions and castles in opposite corners and the back has CAS. the house was built mid 1600s if that helps

Have a nice day. For an accurate determination, you need high-quality photos and the weight of the coin. From your photos you can see that this is 1 | 2 real, 170? (they were minted 1700 and 1701), in the cities of Potosi and Lima. Charles 2, Spain. If you take a good photo and give the weight of the coin, then you can more accurately say. Пилар.jpg

NicaJake

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heya, yes I think this is Potosi. In the Charles II half reales, you can see the Lima ones have round dots in the border, and Potosi has kind of jellybean shapes as a monogram border. Juiceboxer has the jellybeans. You can see 3 or 4 of them to the left of the C. Also, if Kravotinec's drawing is traced photo is accurate, you can see the C terminated at the base of the A. Again, that is another Potosi clue. In Lima Charles II halves, the C always drags up to the crossbeam in the A. It's a nice find either way!

thumbnail222.jpg

lenin

Nov 7, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 66, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I think your cob is a 1/2 Real from Lima. Essayer Francisco Hurtado. He worked in Lima from 1700-1705, and from 1707-1711.
Congratulations on your find and keep going!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread