New discoveries

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought I would post about some new discoveries that were just made on a cave my family owns in Missouri.. Seems to me people enjoy stuff like that on this forum and it's way more active than cavechat.org. The cave was known when we bought the property but had never been mapped or surveyed. We surveyed the known parts of the cave to about 3100 feet where it eventually sumped. I didn't think the cave was over yet so I called in some guys from Ozark Cave Diving Alliance and they did a dive at the sump. They went for 75 feet popped back up into virgin passage for 400 feet. It sumped again for 50 feet and then popped back up into about 1000 feet of passage. I love hearing about new discoveries so I thought I would share. I'll also try and include some pictures. It's crazy to me that these guys were able to go where no man has ever gone before.. Hard to say that these days. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566144.255224.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566181.120156.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566288.987871.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566372.262446.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566643.699072.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441566689.370219.jpg

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a bat gate at the entrance. Did the state of Missouri install it?. Nice cave though. Take a metal detector in there. There may be more than just cave in there judging by the size of the entrance. BTW, I have been caving for at least 50 years.

Don Carns Jr.

Beans Cove Pa.

OP
OP
M

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRF, Springfield Plateau Grotto, and MDC heritage fund all helped pay for it at my request.. Too much vandalism in there

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to explore some of the caves around San Antonio 50-55 years ago. Too old now. Used to love it. Friend has a ranch north of Uvalde, Texas. Cave on the property that neither he nor his family has ever explored. Tried to get him to let a University team in, but he said no. Wanted me to take a look, but not going to happen these days. ( his family has owned the property for over 100 years. Just used for hunting)

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So judging by the name of one of the groups that helped pay to gate it, you'd be right around the Springfield area? I'm just south of West Plains.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff,,,for sure.
I have never been to Missouri for a caving trip but I have been pretty much all over the East.
What is the name of this cave?
And now that you posted it on a treasure forum,,are there any "treasure" tale associated with it?

Hit

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures. I was a member of the Windy City Grotto in the 80's and had a ball. Missouri is a big cave.
Cave divers are kind of scarce. Your lucky to have them. Thing to remember about terminal sumps is they often collect dangerous amounts of CO2. but you probably know that.

OP
OP
M

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not posting forever ..The name of this cave is Lewis Cave and it's about 3 hours from Springfield. No treasure lore that I am aware of anyways. I believe someone has looted around the front but I'm not sure if they found any artifacts or not .

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool discoveries, I just joined our local grotto club. Can't wait to go into my first cave. I haven't been to any good ones since I was a teenager.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread