German Stamp Identification - Help Needed

STAMPSEARCHER

Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to determine the differences between 2 series of early 30's German stamps carrying busts of Pres. Hindenburg. Can anyone tell me how to distinguish between, say, Scott #391 and #417, or #403 and #419, or #404 and #420? I cannot find anything except maybe a slight color variation.

I have inherited a significant number of both US and non-US stamps over the last few years and have taken on the task of cataloging what I have by their Scott numbers. So far, I have gone through about 12,000 US stamps and have now started on foreign issues. Any assistance or links to information sources on how to distinguish between these different series stamps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

OP
OP
S

STAMPSEARCHER

Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you MACKAYDON. It appears, from your example, that the brighter, lighter color was used on the older series (391, etc.) and the darker, more muted color was used on the newer series (417, etc.). I will apply that logic when evaluating other stamps in these series. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
403:
403.jpg

419:

s.gif
$T2eC16hHJGoE9nuQhoOOBP+HIq(N3!~~60_35.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This may clear up the difference between 404 and 420:
The next issue (17 stamps-Scott 415-431) , first found in later 1933, had the same design ( von Hindenburg) and the same color denominations (as well as additional denominations) as the earlier 1933 issue, but had the Swastika (Hakenkreuze) watermark. In addition the 5pf and 25pf of the 1932 Hindenburg issue was also reprinted.

Therefore, the collector will find that many ( pf: 3,4,5,6,8,10,,12,15,20,25,30,40,50,60,80,100) of the von Hindenburg denominations come in both network and swastika watermarks. One will need to check the watermarks for the stamps that are going into the album. I have found frequent errors (even in dealer stock) in placement of these stamps in feeder albums. A word to the wise. ;-)

The second issue illustrated is the 1934 Hindenburg Memorial issue ( six stamps-Scott 436-441), which is characterized by the black border surrounding the stamps. This issue, as well as all subsequent issues that have a watermark during the Nazi era, will have a swastika watermark.

The Swastika watermark on two von Hindenburg stamps
Illustrated above is the swastika watermark. The bad news (at least for me), is the watermark is relatively unclear. If one steps away from the computer screen and views, it becomes somewhat clearer. Still one can make out the Hakenkreuze symbol. So it is not that big of a difficulty, and these watermarks are only really important to differentiate with the von Hindenburg issues. Fortunately, the network watermark (illustrated elsewhere in this blog) appears a lot different, and is usually fairly obvious and clear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread